Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: A very different trip to "The Mosquito Coast"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
- "Save Ralph" aims to turn the tide against animal testing -- with Taika Waititi, Ricky Gervais and Olivia Munn and animation
- Movie Review: Here's how they Screwed Up "Papillon"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Series Review: "Frank of Ireland" indulges the Gleeson Brothers
- Movie Review: Another student-teacher affair, this one "Before the Dawn"
- Movie Review: "At Night Comes Wolves"
- Movie Review: Eckhart is prone to "Wander" in this conspiracy thriller
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 5, 2013
Steven Soderbergh, rightly considered one of Hollywood’s smartest movie makers, is at his cleverest in “Side Effects,” a canny, cunning big idea thriller in a minor key, an engrossing zeitgeist whodunit about Wall Street, Big Pharma, prescription drugs and the … Continue reading
Oh well, there’s no fighting big box office –– soulless or not. Marc Webb is back on the set with his web slinger.
It’s been a dizzying couple of years for Rooney Mara, the young actress who gained a little attention in “The Social Network” and then worldwide fame for starring in Hollywood’s version of “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.” The offers … Continue reading
What American smart-aleck didn’t get his or her start reading the infamous Mad Magazine, where parodies abounded, sarcasm reigned and anarchy was the watchword? What, me worry? Some filmmakers want to raise $50,000 to make a documentary about this once-glorious … Continue reading
There’s a trend story in this “Red Dawn” remake, “Top Gun” re-release (this weekend), return of Sly and Arnold to their ’80s era Big Screen guises. Was Hollywood betting on a return to Reagan era right-wingery at the polls last … Continue reading
Will Ferrell’s years-long excursion into funny buddy pictures, edgy dark comedies (“Everything Must Go”) and Spanish experiments (“Casa de mi Padre”) is over, so “Anchorman 2” continues to come together as a potential Christmas blockbuster comedy. To ensure that, they’re … Continue reading
It has been years YEARS since I linked to anything on Ain’t It Cool. Not a prejudice or anything, I had just forgotten that this groundbreaking fanboy site was there. And “breaking” gossip from there seemed to dry up as … Continue reading
Hollywood is phasing out production of 35mm celluloid film prints this year, ending a 120 year technological tradition that dates from the very beginning of motion pictures. And the last places in North America to show movies that way are, … Continue reading
The modern reshaping of the economic struggle between East and West plays out in “The Sorcerer and the White Snake,” a sharp Chinese reminder that not all cheese comes from Switzerland or Wisconsin. A mad, laugh-out-loud mashup of “The Little … Continue reading
Here’s what we know about Melissa McCarthy’s new comedy, “Identity Thief.” First, we’re referring to it as a Melissa McCarthy comedy. Her “Bridesmaids” breakout and enduring TV series have made her a reliable comic brand. Yeah, Jason Bateman’s been reliably … Continue reading