Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
- Streamable? Disney+ visits "Hamilton" on the stage
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 10, 2013
Melissa McCarthy is BOX OFFICE now, officially. She pulled in $36.5 million in opening weekend ticket sales for “Identity Thief.” It’s not like Jason Bateman is that kind of draw. The lady is bankable, and Fox’s decision to push her … Continue reading
Not necessarily an Oscar indicator, but the BRITISH Oscars, the BAFTAS, honored Emmanuelle Riva of “Amour” for best actress. Otherwise, it was Affleck best director, “Argo” best picture, Day Lewis best actor, Hanne Hathaway best supporting actress. Christoph Waltz won … Continue reading
The quixotic career of Peter Bogdanovich, post “Paper Moon,” has been the subject of more head-shaking and tsk tsking than any filmmaker since his pal Orson Welles hit hard times and couldn’t get a movie made. A movie here and … Continue reading
The weekend’s cinematic tempest in a teapot went something like this. Veteran New York critic and professional snarler Rex Reed wrote this review of “Identity Thief,” in which he took a few choice shots at star Melissa McCarthy’s style of … Continue reading