Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Documentary Review -- "Skin: A History of Nudity in the Movies"
- Movie Preview: Shia wears his Sunglasses at night as "The Tax Collector"
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable: A combat thriller in drag, "Rogue Warfare"
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: Bibb wears bibs in search of "The Lost Husband"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 11, 2020
“Ford v. Ferrari,” my favorite picture of last year, won two Oscars Sunday night — for editing and sound editing. It deserved them. And watching it again Monday night, before it and most of this year’s Oscar contenders lose their … Continue reading
“Pandora” is a Korean thriller plainly inspired by Japan’s Fukushima tsumani and nuclear plant meltdown. It’s nicely-detailed, with decent effects, moderate suspense and a distinctly Korean approach to how this sort of calamity might go down in an Asian country … Continue reading
The 2011 Belgian comedy “Hasta la Vista” earns a chuckle-out-loud remake with “Come as You Are,” a tale of two wheelchair-bound guys and their blind pal road tripping from Colorado to Canada. They’re disabled and they’re virgins and you guessed … Continue reading
I loved the dark Swedish/Norwegian/French film this is based on, “Force Majeure.” So even though this Hollywood remake is warning mixed notices I early reviews, I am cautiously optimistic. Will Farrell is a master at cringe worthy, and Dreyfuss is … Continue reading
Netflix really only has itself to compete with in the newly-revived teen romantic comedy genre. Theatrical studios gave up on making such films and getting them right a generation ago. But young fans of Netflix’s bubbly (“The Perfect Date”) or … Continue reading