Top Posts & Pages
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 25, 2019
Nice use of a fun metal song from the late 70s by one of the best bands of that era NOT in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — Blue Öyster Cult. I haven’t been that worked up about … Continue reading
Documentary Review — “Asbury Park: Riot Redemption Rock n’Roll” visits Springsteen’s history and his old haunts
It begins with a Langston Hughes quote about letting “America be” what it has not yet become and the tinkling of the piano that opens Bruce Springsteen’s “Growin’ Up.” A parade of testimonials follow, about a “honky tonk town” with … Continue reading
His politics make “Peterloo” a natural subject for Mike Leigh. British cinema’s champion of the working classes has celebrated their pluck and plight in films from “High Hopes” and “Life is Sweet” to “Vera Drake” and “Career Girls.” “Peterloo,” about … Continue reading
It’s worth remembering that there’s no hard and fast rule that says science fiction cinema has to be entertaining. Thought provoking and challenging are intellectually defensible paths to pursue. That’s the aim of “High Life,” a science fiction exploration of … Continue reading
I love this Brit radio gimmick. Even when it isn’t as good as J Law and Pratt, it’s funny. Chris? Make fun of her “vocal fry,” which grows more pronounced by the hour. ScarJo? Got to be a “When they … Continue reading