Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "Wrong Turn" leads to terror and torture porn on the Appalachian Trail
- Netflixable? Filipino romance promises lifelong devotion to "My Amanda"
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: "Settlers" face Human failings on a distant colony
- Movie Review: M. Night's "Surprise!" act gets "Old"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Netflixable? "Fear Street Part 3" goes to 1666 to wrap it all up
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Netflixable? The silly sci-fi excesses and faded Bruce Willis cool of "Cosmic Sin"
- Documentary Review: The "Conjuring" house goes AirBnB -- "The Sleepless Unrest"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 25, 2019
Nice use of a fun metal song from the late 70s by one of the best bands of that era NOT in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — Blue Öyster Cult. I haven’t been that worked up about … Continue reading
Documentary Review — “Asbury Park: Riot Redemption Rock n’Roll” visits Springsteen’s history and his old haunts
It begins with a Langston Hughes quote about letting “America be” what it has not yet become and the tinkling of the piano that opens Bruce Springsteen’s “Growin’ Up.” A parade of testimonials follow, about a “honky tonk town” with … Continue reading
His politics make “Peterloo” a natural subject for Mike Leigh. British cinema’s champion of the working classes has celebrated their pluck and plight in films from “High Hopes” and “Life is Sweet” to “Vera Drake” and “Career Girls.” “Peterloo,” about … Continue reading
It’s worth remembering that there’s no hard and fast rule that says science fiction cinema has to be entertaining. Thought provoking and challenging are intellectually defensible paths to pursue. That’s the aim of “High Life,” a science fiction exploration of … Continue reading
I love this Brit radio gimmick. Even when it isn’t as good as J Law and Pratt, it’s funny. Chris? Make fun of her “vocal fry,” which grows more pronounced by the hour. ScarJo? Got to be a “When they … Continue reading