Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "Dancing Queens" is a Swedish drag
- Netflixable? Love is by turns "Sweet and Sour" in this Korean romance
- Movie Review: "The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard"
- Netflixable: If you cross Max, payback can be "Xtreme (Extremo)"
- Movie Review: Hell's in Kentucky thanks to "The Devil Below"
- Movie Review: "Wrong Turn" leads to terror and torture porn on the Appalachian Trail
- Movie Review: Depression Era football phenoms, "12 Mighty Orphans" take on Texas
- Documentary Review: An "Unsolved Mystery" solved? "An Unknown Compelling Force" looks at the Dyatlov Pass Incident
- Movie Review: Stuck in place "In the Heights"
- Movie Review: "Umrika" sadly reminds one of the America the rest of the world used to see
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 10, 2013
There are filmed adaptations of plays and plays, in essence, staged for the film camera. “Between Us” is, sadly, closer to the latter. Joe Hortua’s four-handed melodrama about the arc of a relationship between two couples feels stagy, claustrophobic, despite … Continue reading
The average fan hears, appreciates, maybe even sings along to the latest hits of Adele or Rihanna on the radio. But Merry Clayton hears them and shakes her head. “She needs some SISTERS backing her up in there.” Clayton is … Continue reading
They had big voices, “as big as Aretha Franklin’s,” an admirer confesses. But they gave up their dreams, learned to “sacrifice individuality,” to step into the background as Ike and Mick, Bette and Bruce, Paul Simon and Ray Charles and … Continue reading
A surprising uptick in the box office this weekend thanks to the horror/social satire hit “The Purge,” which keeps Ethan Hawke’s horror hit streak alive.Over $36 million? That’s insane. Horror movies don’t open that big, thrillers don’t blow up like … Continue reading