Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "#AnneFrank -- Parallel Stories" on Netflix
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? Nigerian "Last Flight to Abuja" covers the disaster pic checklist
- Movie Review: A comet kills...selectively and "Only"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Over-achieving teen takes on "The F**k-It List"
- Netflixable? "High Strung Free Dance"
- Movie Review: "Between Shadow and Soul," a silent remake of "The Third Wife"
- Movie Review: Tech scientist wants to preserve what matters most in the "Archive"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 10, 2013
There are filmed adaptations of plays and plays, in essence, staged for the film camera. “Between Us” is, sadly, closer to the latter. Joe Hortua’s four-handed melodrama about the arc of a relationship between two couples feels stagy, claustrophobic, despite … Continue reading
The average fan hears, appreciates, maybe even sings along to the latest hits of Adele or Rihanna on the radio. But Merry Clayton hears them and shakes her head. “She needs some SISTERS backing her up in there.” Clayton is … Continue reading
They had big voices, “as big as Aretha Franklin’s,” an admirer confesses. But they gave up their dreams, learned to “sacrifice individuality,” to step into the background as Ike and Mick, Bette and Bruce, Paul Simon and Ray Charles and … Continue reading
A surprising uptick in the box office this weekend thanks to the horror/social satire hit “The Purge,” which keeps Ethan Hawke’s horror hit streak alive.Over $36 million? That’s insane. Horror movies don’t open that big, thrillers don’t blow up like … Continue reading