Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Getting over "Whelm," and in a hurry
- Documentary Review: "What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?"
- Netflixable? A Colombian Male Wish Fulfillment Fantasy -- "The Last Man on Earth"
- Movie Review: Bar-coded Pandemic Paranoia drops in on "Red River Road"
- Movie Review: An Alpine Peak Too Far, "Summit Fever"
- Movie Review: Heche, Baldwin, Ulrich and Co. Chase a "Supercell"
- Series Review: "Daisy Jones & the Six," Never quite "Almost Famous"
- Movie Review: "Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves"
- Documentary Review: Remembering "Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan: Brothers in Blues"
- Movie Review: Lifelong Friends Journey from "Chantilly Lace" to "Chantilly Bridge"
Find a Movie Review
Like Movie Nation on Facebook
Daily Archives: June 4, 2013
Tonight’s screening: “The Purge”
Ethan Hawke’s had some good luck with horror, and “The Purge” has a hint of that. America, legalizing one day a year where there are no laws — and criminal impulses reign — a family barricaded against the mob, but … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Tonight’s screening: “The Purge”
“Oblivion” opens HUGE…in Japan
However diminished his status among domestic movie audiences, Tom Cruise is still a very bankable box office star in much of the world. Especially, apparently, in Japan. His latest, “Oblivion,” opened well enough but faded before reaching $100 million in … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on “Oblivion” opens HUGE…in Japan
Movie Review: “Violet & Daisy” aren’t the cute killers they think they are
“Violet & Daisy” plays like a live-action version of a Japanese manga comic. Lurid and bloody, it has elaborate gunplay and kinky-kitschy lollipop sucking schoolgirls working as assassins to pay for their teen fashions and teen music obsessions. Vintage pop … Continue reading
Movie Review: “V/H/S 2”
Horror cinema’s latest State of the Abattoir collection, “V/H/S/ 2”, is a properly blood-spattered and chilling collection of shorts — four films from the folks who made “The Blair Witch Project,” “Hobo With a Shotgun,” “The Raid” and “You’re Next.” … Continue reading