Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Pierce Brosnan is Louis XIV with Kaya Scodelario as "The King's Daughter"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? A Dominatrix is dead? Alyssa Milano's on the case, and "Brazen" about it
- Movie Review: The Love of Two Women props up "The Laureate"
- Netflixable? A down-and-dirty French farce with "Mommy Issues" -- "Dear Mother"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 17, 2018
It was as ghoulish a trial as you could possibly imagine. Federal and local agents raided a Philadelphia “pill mill” clinic which was sending oxy, Xanax and other prescription drugs out the door and across state lines, and discovered … Continue reading
We tend to forget, with the fragile, nurturing, demure and ultra-feminine roles she’s played in recent years — with the occasional exception — how scary Nicole Kidman can be when she puts her mind to it. The December release “Destroyer” … Continue reading
Younger, lower echelon German footballers are turned into teammates and roommates by their team, lovers by their sexual preference. “Mario,” in German with English subtitles, comes to DVD and VOD Oct. 30.
Metaphors for life, dreams, old age and struggle attach themselves to baseball like no other sport. The poetic poverty of the minor leagues, the futility of defying Father Time for one last year playing a kids’ game, the tragedy of … Continue reading
Best-selling novelist, scandal of the French stage and ahead-of-the-curve gender bending socialite, Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette was the toast of Belle Epoque France. To a century of readers, in French and any other language you could think of, she was simply “Colette.” She … Continue reading
This April 2019 release has a hint of “Suite Francaise” about it — enemies, hurled together and connecting romantically. “The Aftermath” marries Keira K to Jason Clarke, and throws the regal, high-born (Nazi sympathizer?) Alexander Skarsgaard into the mix to … Continue reading
More a good movie of its moment than a great film, “The Hate U Give” is a drama built on messaging and a hand full of terrific, emotionally-charged scenes. It’s “The Black Lives Matter Movie” and more, a vivid … Continue reading
It pays homage to the classic slasher film it’s based on and gives us the finale we crave from the opening credits. But the ballyhooed David Gordon Green/Danny McBride reboot of “Halloween,” while it manages the odd laugh, suffers from … Continue reading