Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Bullying's not a joke to a High School "Runt"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
- Landmark Film Review: "The Killing Floor," a classic of Labor and African American cinema, newly restored
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 12, 2021
Joel Coen’s directing the adaptation A24 will put in theaters and AppleTV will stream, a little Shakespeare coming our way performed by two of the very best American acting has to offer. “I will not be afraid of death and … Continue reading
Omar is a Syrian refugee who maintains a poker face even as he gives us a glimpse of the full emotional range of the “displaced person experience.” He is sad, deflated, guilt-ridden and powerless. Surely “hopeful” figured in there at … Continue reading
As “Saw” movies go, “Spiral,” the latest film “from the Book of Saw,” isn’t one of the worst in the never-ending franchise. It’s not one of the best, either. This thriller sits on the gory edge of the blade, teetering … Continue reading
What fresh nonsense is this? Well, “fresh” is maybe a tad generous. “Undercover Punch and Gun” is a jokey Hong Kong action pic with first-person shooter video game gunfights, martials arts mayhem, terrific stunts and some pretty damned funny one-liners. … Continue reading
Series Review: German cops hunt a serial killer, and a kidnap victim, in the “Dark Forest (Das Geheimnis des Totenwaldes)”
“Dark Forest” is a German police procedural that is less about tracking down a serial killer than about the ripple effects of random, senseless violence and the pain of not-knowing what’s happened to a loved one who simply vanishes. There’s … Continue reading