Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Gawain is tested by "The Green Knight"
- Movie Preview: "A Savage Nature" is a "true story" mass murder drama
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Preview: Jennifer Hudson is defiant, proud and Aretha demanding "Respect"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Netflixable? JCVD goes "Oui, oui Wheeeee" as "The Last Mercenary"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: Korean diplomats try to "Escape from Mogadishu"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 1, 2021
Olympia Dukakis passed away today in her New York home, her family has announced. The Oscar winning star of *Moonstruck,” theater legend and acting “force of nature” was 89. I got to talk with her a few times over the … Continue reading
The thing about the past, America’s historian David McCullough once told me, is “those folks never knew, at the time, how things would turn out.” That’s worth keeping in mind in recreating any nation’s “storied” history, especially when it comes … Continue reading
“The County” is a tense and intimate Icelandic drama about a tragedy that brings a tempest in a teapot to a boil. Arndís Hrönn Egilsdóttir plays Inga, a dairy farmer whose life is upended when her husband dies behind the … Continue reading
Movie Review: Military-trained robbers face demons — real ones — when they hit the “Wrong Place, Wrong Time”
Whatever the cast was paid, however much the writer-director-producer got for getting “Wrong Place, Wrong Time” finished and in the hands of Uncork’d Entertainment, we can see where the real money was for this demons-and-dumdum bullets tale. The lady or … Continue reading
The story of how Stanley Kubrick selected his subject for the “horror movie” he wanted to make goes like this. He’d send his secretary out to book stores after work every night. And the next day she’d sit in the … Continue reading
“Duty Free” is a featherlight feel-good documentary about a broke son’s efforts to give something back to his equally-broke mother when she loses her job. Here are the heart-tugging “hooks” to this Mother’s Day gift. Rebecca Danigelis is an English … Continue reading