Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Beast (La Belva)" is the Italian "Taken"
- Netflixable? Frights come via phone in the Korean thriller "The Call"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Netflixable? The downside of going Greek hits this "Frat Star"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Netflixable? A SWAT team goes wrong in the ruins of their Iraqi city, "Mosul"
- Netflixable? Bruce Willis in his C-movie twilight, "Hard Kill"
- Netflixable? "Christmas Survival" or "Surviving Christmas with the Relatives," Brits bollix another holiday comedy
- Movie Review -- Into the blurred murk of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2019
No release date on this epic, which features a few authentic Good Ol’boys (Barry Corbin) mixed in with the likes of John Travolta, a suprisingly down home Kevin Dunn, Shania Twain (Southern Canada? Maybe.) and Michael Madsen. Madsen is past-his-prime … Continue reading
Yes, he was a real figure, the great composer, working in the shadows of Hollywood as others got the credit and students went on to become JOHN WILLIAMS and JERRY GOLDSMITH and HENRY MANCINI. Yeah. Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco really lived. He … Continue reading
Kind of a dizzy and dark riff on Matthew M’s “Awright awright awright, where’s my BONGOES?” past image, with a hint of “Spring Breakers” about it. Korine landed Isla Fisher and Snoop Dogg and Jonah Hill and Zac Efron and…Martin … Continue reading
The impression that sticks with you is of carnage — animals slaughered on a wholesale scale. “We shoot until we run outta shells,” one camo-clad local drawls from the cockpit of his flat bottomed swamp boat. But they’re shooting at … Continue reading
“Crossed the Line” is a soapy, sloppily-plotted thriller that might have played better on the TV network that originally produced it. But thanks to its violence and language, this 2014 Ice-T versus four vengeful sisters tales earns its release on … Continue reading
“Dead Ant” is a real “Give the Devil his due” B-movie. And by “Devil” I mean that Trump-tanned comic neer-do-well Tom Arnold, who delivers laughs where few exist in this “drive-in” genre riff set where U2 took inspiration for “Joshua … Continue reading
The documentary series “POV” airs at different times in different markets. But this award-nominated documentary, “Minding the Gap,” about teens growing up in America’s Rust Belt, made for Hulu, will show up on that program before the Oscars are handed … Continue reading
Nominations for the 91st Academy Awards rolled out this AM, live streamed in addition to televised. And “Black Panther” kept coming up, alphabetically the first film named in category after category –costumes, score, sound mixing, sound editing. Seven nominations, including … Continue reading
Seems like everyday’s Internet assault on the eyeballs is toploaded with speculation, “push polling” on behalf of “Black Panther” (ahem), how “Viola Davis could sneak in there for ‘Widows’” (maybe, a long shot), “Crazy Rich Asians” (Really?) or something else … Continue reading
Preview, “Berlin, I Love You” gives the German capital the “New York, I Love You” and “Paris, j’taime
The cast is far far FAR more impressive than the team of directors who bring this romantic travelogue to the screen. Oscar winner Helen Mirren, Diego Luna, Keira Knightley, Mickey Rourke, Hayden Panettiere, Jenna Dewan, Luke Wilson and Jim Sturgess … Continue reading