Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Sniper comes home to MMA challenges, "Blackbear"
- Movie Review: A step to down to "Jumanji: The Next Level"
- Documentary Review: Surfing twins take on the world and the big waves, "And Two if By Sea: The Hobgood Brothers"
- Documentary Review: "No Safe Spaces" smirks through conservative "free speech" victimhood
- Netflixable? Is any "Marriage Story" honestly like this?
- Netflixable? Scorsese's eulogy for "The Irishman"
- Netflixable? French dancers "Step up" for "Let's Dance"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 18, 2018
Hitchcock isn’t the only director to show up in his movies — look for this face in Paul Schrader’s “First Reformed”
You’ll see it. Brownie points to the first commenter who IDs where he turns up in his best movie in years.
Well? Did you? It’s there, in the movie, a glimpse of a U.S. Supreme Court justice, star of “RBG” and played for comic effect. As you’d expect. OK, “cameo” is too specific a characterization. “Sight gag” is more exact. Go … Continue reading
“Disobedience” is a finely-acted tenterhooks drama about religion, sexuality, tradition and isolation. It is a movie grounded in a rigid hierarchy and ritual, but with a cruel undercurrent of despair. But it takes flight on a trio of brittle, biting … Continue reading
Here I was, all primed to drip contempt all over the first disaster of the summer cinema season, when I made the mistake of staying through the credits of “Show Dogs.” The mostly-fake outtakes from this talking critters kiddie comedy … Continue reading
Weekend Movies: Decent reviews for “Deadpool,” “Pope Francis” and even “Book Club,” but guess who’ll clean up at the box office?
“Deadpool 2” did $16-18 million business, setting a new record for an R-rated film’s “pre-opening” opening night — Thursday. So maybe a $150 million weekend? That’s deadline.com’s speculation. Hard to guess that off marketing awareness data and Thursday night performance. … Continue reading