Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Romania is home to "The Father Who Moves Mountains (Tata mută munții)"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? French cops bend the rules and pay the price getting their bust in "The Stronghold (BAC Nord)"
- Classic Film Review: Life under slavery laid bare in the Indie drama, "Sankofa," coming to Netflix
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Movie Review: Here's how they Screwed Up "Papillon"
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: "Dear Evan Hansen" shows up in the Dead Letter Office
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 18, 2018
Hitchcock isn’t the only director to show up in his movies — look for this face in Paul Schrader’s “First Reformed”
You’ll see it. Brownie points to the first commenter who IDs where he turns up in his best movie in years.
Well? Did you? It’s there, in the movie, a glimpse of a U.S. Supreme Court justice, star of “RBG” and played for comic effect. As you’d expect. OK, “cameo” is too specific a characterization. “Sight gag” is more exact. Go … Continue reading
“Disobedience” is a finely-acted tenterhooks drama about religion, sexuality, tradition and isolation. It is a movie grounded in a rigid hierarchy and ritual, but with a cruel undercurrent of despair. But it takes flight on a trio of brittle, biting … Continue reading
Here I was, all primed to drip contempt all over the first disaster of the summer cinema season, when I made the mistake of staying through the credits of “Show Dogs.” The mostly-fake outtakes from this talking critters kiddie comedy … Continue reading
Weekend Movies: Decent reviews for “Deadpool,” “Pope Francis” and even “Book Club,” but guess who’ll clean up at the box office?
“Deadpool 2” did $16-18 million business, setting a new record for an R-rated film’s “pre-opening” opening night — Thursday. So maybe a $150 million weekend? That’s deadline.com’s speculation. Hard to guess that off marketing awareness data and Thursday night performance. … Continue reading