Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Movie Review: Suffering from Amnesia, trying to rebuild the last "32 Weeks"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: Adventure vlogger finds there is "No Escape" from a Russian puzzle
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Movie Review: "Wonder Woman 1984 (WW84)"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: Seeing the future, trying to change it of your own "Volition"
- Netflixable? Coming of age and coming out in Taiwan -- "Your Name Engraved Herein"
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 6, 2020
Last year’s release by the Department of Defense of unidentified flying object footage and the seeming admission that there’s “something” to all these decades of sightings, photographs, filmings and conspiracy-mongering about UFOs, gave birth to “The Phenomenon.” This is the … Continue reading
A rare drama from Ms. Plaza, an “inner demons” story co-starring Sarah Gadon.
“Feel good movies” are a balm for tough times, and “Yellow Rose” comes along in one of the darkest falls in living American memory. It’s an immigrant story with a country music hook, and it taps into our need to … Continue reading
Fernando Botero stood out as “a figurative artist in an abstract era.” Everybody wanted paint spatters, stylized geometric forms or soaked paper or cracked porcelain on their canvases. Here was a Colombian inspired by Renaissance masters painting people, animals and … Continue reading
You like your horror in mashup form? “Vampires vs. the Bronx” is “Attack the Block” meets “Do the Right Thing” in a lyrically (and amusingly) Latinized setting. An activist teen (Jaden Michael) named Miguel, but who goes by “Lil Mayor” … Continue reading
A distaff spy thriller/action get down due out Jan. 15, Oscar winners Nyong’o and Cruz, Jessica Chastain and Diane Kruger and Bingbing Fan help cover all the bases. Note that no Russian is on the team, because only traitors figure … Continue reading
Tom Wolfe began his book about the early days of the U.S. manned space program “The Right Stuff” with an observation and an explanation. At the time he was reporting it, you could get on a jetliner from most any … Continue reading