Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Preview: Silverstone, a Tsunami and Sharks? "The Requin"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? "Aileen Wuornos: American Boogeywoman" is trash, and not the good kind
- Movie Review: A Car Thief gets more than He Bargained for in that Toyota "4x4"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 22, 2019
Young Lexy Kolker looks so much like young Drew Barrymore that I had to double-check the credits to “Freaks” to make sure Stephen King wasn’t involved, that I wasn’t seeing a “Firestarter” sequel or remake. And as this dark, hallucinatory … Continue reading
A 1950s private eye tale was director/star Norton’s aim in adapting Jontahan Lethem’s novel. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Willem Dafoe, Alec Baldwin, Michael Kenneth Williams and Bruce and Leslie signed on. “Gangster with Tourette’s” is quite the hook. It has 2:24 worth … Continue reading
“Low Tide” is a “Bling Ring” variation of the well-worn “friends find treasure and turn on each other” story trope, one with just enough suspense, atmosphere and local color to come off. Writer-director Kevin McMullin, making his first feature, leans … Continue reading
Post 9/11, Congressional investigators uncover some of the things the Bush Administration was covering up, “Rendition” things. Amazon has this one slated for Nov. Release.
The Hollywood Reporter says that “tens of thousands” of customers credit card info was was stolen. MoviePass, the bust that keeps on busting. https://t.co/vSc6qUUf9p https://twitter.com/THR/status/1164542000714133504?s=17
A24 and Direct TV have this teen burglary drama. Jaeden Martell is one of the stars, Shea Whigham plays the law.
Nobody in it wears a cape. Well, OK. Maggie Smith MIGHT show up in one. But her superpower is sarcasm. Yes the “Downton Abbey” fanbase is ordering their tickets and making their plans to catch the Focus Features wide screen … Continue reading
“On the nose” casting can be playful, or it can be a curse — a lazy form of screen shorthand that strips the mystery away from your thriller before the opening credits are finished. So glancing at the names listed … Continue reading