Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review: A Ukrainian combat thriller, "Sniper: The White Raven"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- BOX OFFICE: And the winner is? "Marcel the Shell with Shoes On?"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 22, 2019
Young Lexy Kolker looks so much like young Drew Barrymore that I had to double-check the credits to “Freaks” to make sure Stephen King wasn’t involved, that I wasn’t seeing a “Firestarter” sequel or remake. And as this dark, hallucinatory … Continue reading
A 1950s private eye tale was director/star Norton’s aim in adapting Jontahan Lethem’s novel. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Willem Dafoe, Alec Baldwin, Michael Kenneth Williams and Bruce and Leslie signed on. “Gangster with Tourette’s” is quite the hook. It has 2:24 worth … Continue reading
“Low Tide” is a “Bling Ring” variation of the well-worn “friends find treasure and turn on each other” story trope, one with just enough suspense, atmosphere and local color to come off. Writer-director Kevin McMullin, making his first feature, leans … Continue reading
Post 9/11, Congressional investigators uncover some of the things the Bush Administration was covering up, “Rendition” things. Amazon has this one slated for Nov. Release.
The Hollywood Reporter says that “tens of thousands” of customers credit card info was was stolen. MoviePass, the bust that keeps on busting. https://t.co/vSc6qUUf9p https://twitter.com/THR/status/1164542000714133504?s=17
A24 and Direct TV have this teen burglary drama. Jaeden Martell is one of the stars, Shea Whigham plays the law.
Nobody in it wears a cape. Well, OK. Maggie Smith MIGHT show up in one. But her superpower is sarcasm. Yes the “Downton Abbey” fanbase is ordering their tickets and making their plans to catch the Focus Features wide screen … Continue reading
“On the nose” casting can be playful, or it can be a curse — a lazy form of screen shorthand that strips the mystery away from your thriller before the opening credits are finished. So glancing at the names listed … Continue reading