Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
- Movie Review: "Rage" rage at this pokey thriller from Down Under
- Documentary Review: "Searching for Mr. Rugoff," remembering an art film icon
- Netflixable? Filipino Woman fights back when she becomes "The Girl with a Gun (Babae at Baril)"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: "Settlers" face Human failings on a distant colony
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 10, 2018
What did the sisterhood used to say about “mini skirts?” “If you’re old enough to have worn them the LAST time they came around, maybe they’re not for you THIS time.” Doesn’t really apply to movies, although you could make … Continue reading
If you ever wondered where the term “Grand Guignol,” used to describe the bloody and macabre, over-the-top-horror, came from, here it is. If you ever speculated who might have been the original “scream queen,” long before Jamie Leigh Curtis, let … Continue reading
“MDMA” is a lurid, over-sexed, drugged–out soap opera set at the tail end of the Go Go ’80s, when Reagan was King and “Molly” was his Queen. It may pass itself off as “cautionary,” but this is exploitation, the sort … Continue reading
It’s actor Paul Dano’s feature directing debut, this sensitive coming-of-age-in-crisis drama starring Carey Mulligan, Jake Gyllenhaal and Bill Oxenbould as the kid. The wonderful and omnipresent Bill Camp is in “Wildlife” too, which earns limited release Oct. 19.
Preview, Firth, Von Sydow and Seydoux and Schoenarts star in historical thriller about Putin letting a lot of Russians drown on board the “Kursk”
In Europe, they remember who the Evil Empire is, and why you don’t let them have a say in your elections. This has a fall opening in Europe, coming soon to the US — Thomas Vinterberg (“The Celebration,” “Far from … Continue reading