Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Old West prejudices Die Hard in the New West of "The Bygone"
- Movie Review: The mystery deepens "Every Time I Die"
- Movie Review: A Pinkerton hunts Confederate war criminals in the Old West in "Badland"
- Movie Review: Mrs. Maisel's Brosnahan heralds "Change in the Air"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Netflixable? In Barcelona, watch out for "The Occupant" who had your swank apartment before you
- Netflixable? A Memphis BBQ heir gets into wine in "Uncorked"
- Netflixable? Omar Epps is captain on a space station where things go wrong, "3022"
- Movie Review: Ben Kingsley stars in "Spider in the Web"
- Movie Review: "Frozen 2" melts down
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 10, 2018
How overfamiliar does a horror movie have to be before even the filmmakers have to wonder, “Why bother?” “The Ritual,” a British eOne/Netflix production, packs a bunch of boy-bonding lads off into the wilds of Sweden. No “found footage,” but … Continue reading
There’s a reason the romantic conversations here have a wordy/moonstruck, up-the-romantic-stakes feel, even as the world they’re delivered in feels lived-in and real. Dan Fogelman wrote and directed “Life Itself,” and this trailer plays like his more famous creation, “This … Continue reading
There’s an implicit covenant between filmmaker and audience, one that Tim Sutton, director of “Dark Night” repeatedly violates. You can make your movie an attention-demanding exercise, invite us into your head by under-explaining, telling your story with tone, mournful music … Continue reading
This one opens in March of next year. There’s zero conflict or the possibility of conflict in this first teaser, so something’s missing. I mean, I don’t expect “Action Point,” heaven forbid. But…something.
The short answer to that headline question is “No.” Even on Netflix, director Kelly Reichardt’s movies are the ultimate acquired taste. Austere to the point where tiny gestures are magnified into moments of enormous consequence, silent save for the … Continue reading