Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Ashley Benson and Shiloh Fernandez face off over "Private Property"
- That song Justin Long sings along to in "Barbarian?"
- Movie Review: A Dystopian Future whose hopes hang on a "Vesper"
- Movie Review: Workplace Ditzes in the Zoom Meeting era -- "Out of Office"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Antonio Banderas classes up "The Enforcer"
- Movie Review: A Psychopath's Origin Story -- "Pearl"
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: Smart House/Murder Mansion, "Margaux"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 24, 2021
A rich eccentric finances an artiste’s latest movie “blockbuster” sounds silly enough. But that cast!
A few things hamstring the “Affair to Remember-ish” romance “The Last Letter from Your Lover,” a Netflix film adapted from the Jojo Moyes novel. One is casting. Shailene Woodley and Felicity Jones are marvelous, as one would expect, with Woodley … Continue reading
A resurging pandemic in parts of the country, and very weak new releases are adding up to a blase weekend for the movie box office. Well, that and the “streaming/theatrical” model that so many films are opening under these days. … Continue reading
A not-exactly-torrid, not particularly romantic “torrid romance,” “Curiosa” takes us back to 19th century Paris, when the camera and indoor plumbing were new, and sexual mores seemed in a mad rush to catch up. This French melodrama, loosely based on … Continue reading
Netflixable? Moroccan thief and others are comically vexed by “The Unknown Saint (Le Miracle du Saint Inconnu)”
“The Unknown Saint” is an understated, chuckle-out-loud caper comedy from Morocco. It works the deadpan side of the street, spare in its dialogue, leaning on sight gags and situational ironies. What you get is an intimate parody of a parable, … Continue reading