Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Romania is home to "The Father Who Moves Mountains (Tata mută munții)"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? French cops bend the rules and pay the price getting their bust in "The Stronghold (BAC Nord)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Netflixable? A campout turns its German bachelors into "Prey"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: Rideshare Roger just might be a "Stalker"
- Movie Review: An Orphan discovers what it means to be "The Devil's Child"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 24, 2021
A rich eccentric finances an artiste’s latest movie “blockbuster” sounds silly enough. But that cast!
A few things hamstring the “Affair to Remember-ish” romance “The Last Letter from Your Lover,” a Netflix film adapted from the Jojo Moyes novel. One is casting. Shailene Woodley and Felicity Jones are marvelous, as one would expect, with Woodley … Continue reading
A resurging pandemic in parts of the country, and very weak new releases are adding up to a blase weekend for the movie box office. Well, that and the “streaming/theatrical” model that so many films are opening under these days. … Continue reading
A not-exactly-torrid, not particularly romantic “torrid romance,” “Curiosa” takes us back to 19th century Paris, when the camera and indoor plumbing were new, and sexual mores seemed in a mad rush to catch up. This French melodrama, loosely based on … Continue reading
Netflixable? Moroccan thief and others are comically vexed by “The Unknown Saint (Le Miracle du Saint Inconnu)”
“The Unknown Saint” is an understated, chuckle-out-loud caper comedy from Morocco. It works the deadpan side of the street, spare in its dialogue, leaning on sight gags and situational ironies. What you get is an intimate parody of a parable, … Continue reading