Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review -- "Minions: The Rise of Gru" is Pure Looney Tunes
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- Movie Review: Stallone is back on the beat with "Backtrace"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 24, 2021
A rich eccentric finances an artiste’s latest movie “blockbuster” sounds silly enough. But that cast!
A few things hamstring the “Affair to Remember-ish” romance “The Last Letter from Your Lover,” a Netflix film adapted from the Jojo Moyes novel. One is casting. Shailene Woodley and Felicity Jones are marvelous, as one would expect, with Woodley … Continue reading
A resurging pandemic in parts of the country, and very weak new releases are adding up to a blase weekend for the movie box office. Well, that and the “streaming/theatrical” model that so many films are opening under these days. … Continue reading
A not-exactly-torrid, not particularly romantic “torrid romance,” “Curiosa” takes us back to 19th century Paris, when the camera and indoor plumbing were new, and sexual mores seemed in a mad rush to catch up. This French melodrama, loosely based on … Continue reading
Netflixable? Moroccan thief and others are comically vexed by “The Unknown Saint (Le Miracle du Saint Inconnu)”
“The Unknown Saint” is an understated, chuckle-out-loud caper comedy from Morocco. It works the deadpan side of the street, spare in its dialogue, leaning on sight gags and situational ironies. What you get is an intimate parody of a parable, … Continue reading