Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Movie Review: Dutch Road Ragers are just the worst -- "Tailgate (Bumperkleef)"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Classic Film Review: Renoir's "The Southerner (1945)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 28, 2021
Good cast, gritty milieu for this Sept. 3 release.
Movie Preview: Will Smith is “King Richard,” tyrant, coach, father of tennis champions Venus and Serena
A November “awards season” release, this has some currency and a lot of heft to it. Smith looks good.
We few. We lucky, lucky few. We who nothing of the magical qualities of the doula, we for whom the acronym “RIE” is akin to speaking in tongues. We have no idea how lucky we are. Here’s a comedy about … Continue reading
A Nordic folktale of the darkly comic or horrific persuasion, this Oct. 8 release stars Noomi Rapace. Yeah, it’s from A24 and is as weird and wooly as you would expect from them.
“Bankrolled?” Think of it as a classic example of “meeting a comedy on its own terms.” It takes a while to settle in. And truthfully, you’ve got to be simpatico with its vibe, something that ties “Bankrolled” to the stoner … Continue reading
Any movie with “dolphin” in the title is pretty much pre-certified “kid-friendly,” and “Dolphin Island” certainly honors that. It’s a lightly-charming Bahamas travelogue with a teen, her dolphin friend and her fisherman grandpa who just might lose custody of her … Continue reading