Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Old West prejudices Die Hard in the New West of "The Bygone"
- Movie Review: A Pinkerton hunts Confederate war criminals in the Old West in "Badland"
- General Bonner Fellers, the "hero" of the WWII drama "Emperor"?
- Movie Review: Nivola is lost in his own head in "Weightless"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
- Movie Review: The mystery deepens "Every Time I Die"
- Netflixable? "Pretty Little Stalker"
- Movie Review: Rom-com "Surprise Me!" is not what one expects
- Movie Review: "Greater" is less than the sum of its jumbled up parts
- Netflixable? The Mysterious quiet of "El Silencio es Bienvenido"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 14, 2019
“The Goldfinch” is a sprawling, ungainly but perfectly watchable mess of a movie, one of those novel adaptations where one wishes they’d taken the time to edit that beast into something tighter before the cameras rolled. Director John Crowley (“Brooklyn”) … Continue reading
“Trauma is a Time Machine” is a film title worth parsing, considering as a stand-alone aphorism. “Trauma” implies something we don’t just “get over.” And as it plays over and over in the mind, it does indeed become a time … Continue reading
Augie Duke and Gabe Fazio star in this little no-budget lingering trauma from rape drama that is earning a release at the end of the month.
Teen romances, a genre theatrical release Hollywood has pretty much abandoned, has been a fertile niche for Netflix to make its own. The streaming service has made the edgy, hormonal teen sex comedy its sweet spot in movies that appeal … Continue reading
And just like that, J. Lo is a movie star. Again. The “hit every audience” demographics of the casting, Latino, Asian, African American hip hop, “Riverdale” fans, and a populist message about looting America’s unpunished looters–Wall Street– is working. “Hustlers” … Continue reading
It looks less digital as a combat pic, in other words. Luke Evans, Mandy Moore, Patrick Wilson, Ed Skrein and Woody Harrelson are the stars. Nov. 8 we relive America’s greatest naval victory.