Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Gawain is tested by "The Green Knight"
- Movie Review: "Jungle Cruise" Loses its Way
- Netflixable? JCVD goes "Oui, oui Wheeeee" as "The Last Mercenary"
- Movie Review: Kids obsess over "Class Rank," and campaign to abolish it in this teen rom-com
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Movie Review: "Rage" rage at this pokey thriller from Down Under
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 14, 2019
“The Goldfinch” is a sprawling, ungainly but perfectly watchable mess of a movie, one of those novel adaptations where one wishes they’d taken the time to edit that beast into something tighter before the cameras rolled. Director John Crowley (“Brooklyn”) … Continue reading
“Trauma is a Time Machine” is a film title worth parsing, considering as a stand-alone aphorism. “Trauma” implies something we don’t just “get over.” And as it plays over and over in the mind, it does indeed become a time … Continue reading
Augie Duke and Gabe Fazio star in this little no-budget lingering trauma from rape drama that is earning a release at the end of the month.
Teen romances, a genre theatrical release Hollywood has pretty much abandoned, has been a fertile niche for Netflix to make its own. The streaming service has made the edgy, hormonal teen sex comedy its sweet spot in movies that appeal … Continue reading
And just like that, J. Lo is a movie star. Again. The “hit every audience” demographics of the casting, Latino, Asian, African American hip hop, “Riverdale” fans, and a populist message about looting America’s unpunished looters–Wall Street– is working. “Hustlers” … Continue reading
It looks less digital as a combat pic, in other words. Luke Evans, Mandy Moore, Patrick Wilson, Ed Skrein and Woody Harrelson are the stars. Nov. 8 we relive America’s greatest naval victory.