Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: Nivola is lost in his own head in "Weightless"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: "The Matrix Resurrections" should have remained buried
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: December 12, 2018
A bit of science fiction satire aimed at the “state” of things as they are today — privacy, control, “monitoring,” etc. Vera Farmiga and John Goodman are the big names in the cast of “Captive State” — which is about … Continue reading
I’m going to limit this to SAG’s motion picture nominations. The TV stuff is so far removed from the Emmys (as are the Golden Globes’ TV nominations) as to not impact the “real” awards that come from this time of … Continue reading
MPAA Rating: PG for some mild thematic elements and brief action Cast: Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda, Ben Whishaw, Emily Mortimer, Julie Walters, Colin Firth, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury and Meryl Streep Credits: Directed by Rob Marshall, screenplay by David … Continue reading
Film fans long ago made up their minds about Sally Field. The woman spent the better part of 20 years living down her “You like me…right now you like me” Academy Award acceptance speech, a meme before we were using … Continue reading
Well, it’s something to see. Producer (and co-screenwriter) Peter Jackson always makes sure of that. The surprising thing about the film of Phillip Reeve’s “Mortal Engines,” essentially a movie about roving, bulldozing cities that devour small towns, is how long this … Continue reading