Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: The Unholy Evangelicals/Israeli alliance donating and agitating "'Til Kingdom Come"
- Movie Review: Kathie Lee and Craig, together again, "Then Came You"
- Documentary Review -- "Time Warp: The Greatest Cult Films of All Time"
- Movie Review: Tom Holland, a medic turned addict/bank-robber -- "Cherry"
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? "A Girl like Grace" is going to make some mistakes
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Have you seen "Nomadland" yet? Make a plan, make it happen.
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: November 26, 2013
So many movies about “The Beat Generation,” so few that have the rhythm. “Kill Your Darlings” joins “Howl” and “On the Road” and “Big Sur” in the recent run of offbeat and off-the-beat indie films taking aim at that post-World … Continue reading
The problem with remakes is that you can’t “un-see” the original film. And that’s especially true of Chan-Wook Park’s searing 2003 hit, “Oldboy.”The new Spike Lee/Hollywood version deviates in a lot of minor and a few important ways. But try … Continue reading
Here on the cusp of Thanksgiving, various Oscar races are shaping up as the field narrows and potential contenders either join the mix or fall by the wayside. Best actor seems like a Redford, McConaughey, Dern, Ejiofor, Hanks and possibly … Continue reading
A romantic sci-fi tale of love and a disembodied electronic voice. The voice is Scarlett Johansson. We get it. Joaquin Phoenix is the lonely, broken-hearted fellow whose new “assistant” is the only one who gets him in this possible Oscar … Continue reading
Forget the eight forgettable tunes and Disney’s “Frozen” finds a pleasant home in the ranks of Disney’s animated “princess” musicals. The tunes may place it closer to “Tangled” than “The Little Mermaid,” but there’s wit and whimsy in this 53rd … Continue reading
The Jason Statham vehicle “Homefront” is such a generic tough-guy-against-the-odds ’80s style actioner that you’d swear Sly Stallone starred in it. He did, back in the day. Or versions of it.This one, Stallone just scripted. From the set-up — ex … Continue reading