Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Pierce Brosnan is Louis XIV with Kaya Scodelario as "The King's Daughter"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Netflixable? A down-and-dirty French farce with "Mommy Issues" -- "Dear Mother"
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
- Movie Review: "The Right One" goes a tad too wrong
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: A Car Thief gets more than He Bargained for in that Toyota "4x4"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 19, 2020
It was 1951, and nobody was making movies about racism and African American rage back then. Much of the cast was local amateurs. As it was filmed in Argentina but set in Chicago, that makes for some odd accents. The … Continue reading
There’s arguing — not loud, not heated — at the funeral reception. It was a Jewish funeral, and the debate is over the deceased’s last wish — to be cremated. But there is no arguing over why “she” killed herself. … Continue reading
Ok, none of the folks involved in making “This is Spinal Tap” way back when has had great demands on their time these past few years. Yes, it would have been interesting if they’d taken a chance at reviving the … Continue reading
The creators of the Indonesian romantic comedy “Whipped” play versions of themselves, which is the cleverest thing this film (“Bucin,” in Indonesian) has going for it. To wit — Chandra Liow is ID’d in the opening credits as “single” and … Continue reading
One thing becomes obvious in this ambitious, star-studded yet staid version of France’s infamous “Dreyfus Affair.” The officious, patriotic family man this scandal centered around was far from being the most fascinating character in his own tragedy. If the great … Continue reading
Liam, playing yet another man “with very particular skills?” Even he should be tired of this by now. Still, he always gives fair value, even in plots as far fetched as this one. Oct. 9 “Honest Thief” opens.