Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: There's little redeeming about "Redemption Day"
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: A teacher goes off the rails after "The Swerve"
- Movie Review: An unhappy Silverstone is "Sister of the Groom"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 19, 2020
It was 1951, and nobody was making movies about racism and African American rage back then. Much of the cast was local amateurs, which because it was filmed in Argentina even though it was set in Chicago, makes for some … Continue reading
There’s arguing — not loud, not heated — at the funeral reception. It was a Jewish funeral, and the debate is over the deceased’s last wish — to be cremated. But there is no arguing over why “she” killed herself. … Continue reading
Ok, none of the folks involved in making “This is Spinal Tap” way back when has had great demands on their time these past few years. Yes, it would have been interesting if they’d taken a chance at reviving the … Continue reading
The creators of the Indonesian romantic comedy “Whipped” play versions of themselves, which is the cleverest thing this film (“Bucin,” in Indonesian) has going for it. To wit — Chandra Liow is ID’d in the opening credits as “single” and … Continue reading
One thing becomes obvious in this ambitious, star-studded yet staid version of France’s infamous “Dreyfus Affair.” The officious, patriotic family man this scandal centered around was far from being the most fascinating character in his own tragedy. If the great … Continue reading
Liam, playing yet another man “with very particular skills?” Even he should be tired of this by now. Still, he always gives fair value, even in plots as far fetched as this one. Oct. 9 “Honest Thief” opens.