Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Classic Film Review: Renoir's "The Southerner (1945)"
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Preview: Is "Therapy Dogs" "the last high school movie?"
- Movie Review: The answers to a murder mystery lie "Beneath the Leaves"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 24, 2019
Movie Review: McGovern is still in “Downton” wear, if not “Downton” role as “The Chaperone” to Flapper Haley Lu
The pitch has a hint of “madcap” about it. A teenage spitfire and future rebellious movie starlet goes to New York at 16, accompanied by an older and over-matched chaperone. But even though “The Chaperone” is coming to theaters, it’s … Continue reading
PBS is putting this in theaters at the end of March. It looks very…PBS. “Downton Abbey Lite,” maybe?A quid pro quo to bring McGovern back for a last blast of the Abbey? It’s lovely that she’s found an era that … Continue reading