Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Remembering a hot Disco Era record label, "Spinning Gold"
- Movie Review: Bar-coded Pandemic Paranoia drops in on "Red River Road"
- Movie Review: Getting over "Whelm," and in a hurry
- Movie Review: Damon, Affleck, Tucker Bateman and Davis cut a deal for "Air" Jordans
- Series Review: "Daisy Jones & the Six," Never quite "Almost Famous"
- Netflixable? "Johnny," a tale of a righteous Polish priest and the petty crook he saved
- Movie Review: Heche, Baldwin, Ulrich and Co. Chase a "Supercell"
- Movie Review: "The School of Magical Animals," Hogwarts-lite from Germany
- Movie Review -- "John Wick: Chapter 4"
- Movie Review: The tangled emotional web of "Inez & Doug & Kira"
Find a Movie Review
Like Movie Nation on Facebook
Daily Archives: August 31, 2014
Movie Review: Too many laughs are lost in translation in “Cantinflas”
The iconic Mexican comic actor Cantinflas warrants a more amusing bio-pic than “Cantinflas” gives him. A historically interesting story is painted in broad, colorless strokes, alternating as it does between soap opera and slapstick. And the comic stuff, built both … Continue reading
Posted in previews, profiles and movie news, Reviews Comments Off on Movie Review: Too many laughs are lost in translation in “Cantinflas”
Labor Day Box Office: “Guardians” by a mile, “As Above” cracks top five, “Let’s Be Cops” hits $60
The long Labor Day weekend may bring an inglorious end to a desultory summer at the box office. But “Guardians of the Galaxy,” which became the biggest grossing film of 2014 (passing “Captain America” sequel and “The Lego Movie”), has … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Labor Day Box Office: “Guardians” by a mile, “As Above” cracks top five, “Let’s Be Cops” hits $60
Today’s screening: “Cantinflas”
Pantelion Films is the Spanish language arm of Lionsgate, best known for distributing “Casa de Mi Padre, Will Ferrell’s Mexican vamp. With “Cantinflas,” they’ve picked up a bio-pic of the Mexican Charlie Chaplin, the great comic of the 1940s-60s best … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Today’s screening: “Cantinflas”