Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Movie Review -- "Minions: The Rise of Gru" is Pure Looney Tunes
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Movie Review: "Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe" Heheheh..."Do"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
Find a Movie Review
Category Archives: profiles and movie news
“Insurgent” doesn’t seriously diverge from the “Divergent/Hunger Games/Maze Runner” formula until its final act. Up until then, this “Divergent” sequel is Young Adults Save the World generic. It’s action-packed in the extreme, as Young Heroine Tris (Shailene Woodely) and “Dauntless” … Continue reading
Here’s how Derek and Hansel announced it. By walking the catwalk at Fashion Week in Paris, for Valentino. Well-played. Sure, it’s probably too late for them to return to these guys. This sort of comedy is passe in “The Hangover” … Continue reading
Of all the Cinderellas that Disney could have updated, how on Earth did they settle on this one? This Kenneth Branagh version, scripted by Chris “About a Boy” Weitz, is stately and sumptuous, but dull and never ever delightful. The … Continue reading
Tom McCarthy transformed himself from an actor into an indie writer-director, and became a critics’ darling. Who knew what he REALLY wanted was to make Adam Sandler comedies? Call it hubris, the belief that he could alter an actor’s career … Continue reading
Love that Octavia Spencer. And since I’ve interviewed Shailene Woodley so much her mom is getting suspicious, I pitched The Only O I Adore as someone I’d like to talk to about “Insurgent,” the sequel to “Divergent.” We last spoke … Continue reading
The best acting job in “Unfinished Business” is turned in by Vince Vaughn. He spends the 91 minutes of this seriously laugh-starved comedy trying to pretend he doesn’t want to strangle Dave Franco. Rare is the performance that inspires such … Continue reading
Wrongheaded in conception, eye-rolling in execution, “Chappie” is a childish blend of the cute robot goofiness of “Short Circuit,” and the bloody-minded mayhem of “Robocop.” It never finds its sweet spot and never, for one moment, works. Neill Blomkamp, the … Continue reading
“To Write Love on Her Arms.” It’s a cause, vividly illustrated by its name, a turn of phrase so poetic that it’s no wonder a big segment of the music industry embraced it as a cause celebre a few years … Continue reading
Dame Judi Dench takes an awkward pause, Her interviewer’s name is familiar, even if the actor he shares it with never played one of Dench’s versions of James Bond. “Well, I don’t know whether to have a nice little chat…or … Continue reading