Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "Cerebrum" is sci-fi of the brain-damaged variety
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Movie Review: Cheating is made for "The Delinquent Season"
- Movie Review: Billy Crystal drags Tiffany Haddish into the schmaltz --"Here Today"
- Movie Review: "Midway" recreates an epic naval battle, with a lot of digital help
- Olivia Cooke proves she's more than "just a horror girl" with "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl"
- Movie Review: "Paper Spiders" offers as realistic a depiction of mental illness as any movie ever
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Series Review: A very different trip to "The Mosquito Coast"
Find a Movie Review
Category Archives: profiles and movie news
“Insurgent” doesn’t seriously diverge from the “Divergent/Hunger Games/Maze Runner” formula until its final act. Up until then, this “Divergent” sequel is Young Adults Save the World generic. It’s action-packed in the extreme, as Young Heroine Tris (Shailene Woodely) and “Dauntless” … Continue reading
Here’s how Derek and Hansel announced it. By walking the catwalk at Fashion Week in Paris, for Valentino. Well-played. Sure, it’s probably too late for them to return to these guys. This sort of comedy is passe in “The Hangover” … Continue reading
Of all the Cinderellas that Disney could have updated, how on Earth did they settle on this one? This Kenneth Branagh version, scripted by Chris “About a Boy” Weitz, is stately and sumptuous, but dull and never ever delightful. The … Continue reading
Tom McCarthy transformed himself from an actor into an indie writer-director, and became a critics’ darling. Who knew what he REALLY wanted was to make Adam Sandler comedies? Call it hubris, the belief that he could alter an actor’s career … Continue reading
Love that Octavia Spencer. And since I’ve interviewed Shailene Woodley so much her mom is getting suspicious, I pitched The Only O I Adore as someone I’d like to talk to about “Insurgent,” the sequel to “Divergent.” We last spoke … Continue reading
The best acting job in “Unfinished Business” is turned in by Vince Vaughn. He spends the 91 minutes of this seriously laugh-starved comedy trying to pretend he doesn’t want to strangle Dave Franco. Rare is the performance that inspires such … Continue reading
Wrongheaded in conception, eye-rolling in execution, “Chappie” is a childish blend of the cute robot goofiness of “Short Circuit,” and the bloody-minded mayhem of “Robocop.” It never finds its sweet spot and never, for one moment, works. Neill Blomkamp, the … Continue reading
“To Write Love on Her Arms.” It’s a cause, vividly illustrated by its name, a turn of phrase so poetic that it’s no wonder a big segment of the music industry embraced it as a cause celebre a few years … Continue reading
Dame Judi Dench takes an awkward pause, Her interviewer’s name is familiar, even if the actor he shares it with never played one of Dench’s versions of James Bond. “Well, I don’t know whether to have a nice little chat…or … Continue reading