Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Surviving the Norwegian Apocalypse -- "Cadaver (Kadaver)"
- Netflixable? Is anybody home at "House of the Witch?"
- Netflixable? "American Pie Presents: 'Girls' Rules"
- Movie Review: A grieving obsessive-compulsive falls under an Icelandic "Spell"
- Movie Review: Kathie Lee and Craig, together again, "Then Came You"
- Documentary Review: "The Phenomenon" revisits UFOdom's Greatest Hits
- Netflixable? The downside of going Greek hits this "Frat Star"
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Bingworthy? Anya Taylor-Joy looks for checkmate in "The Queen's Gambit"
- Netflixable? Mexican couple disagrees on babies -- "You've Got This (Ahí te Encargo)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 4, 2014
“This is like one of those ’80s movies,” wide-eyed Sarah (Aubrey Plaza) observes at one point in the later scenes of “About Alex.” Yes, it is. More like “that ’80s movie” — singular. “About Alex” is “The Big Chill” — … Continue reading
There’s something about the idea of that quintessentially modern mensch Griffin Dunne (“After Hours,” “Dallas Buyers Club”) in a period piece that doesn’t connect. But Griffin Dunne as an academic has-been, forced to dress in 19th century frontier wear to … Continue reading
The casting of Matthew McConaughey looked promising, Jessica Chastain’s in it, and Michael Caine (of course). Christopher Nolan’s cautionary, hopeful film about a Global Warming doomed Earth in search of a replacement planet epic opens right after election day, where … Continue reading
This promising fall romantic comedy pairs up Daniel Radcliffe with Zoe Kazan, a sort of meeting Ms. Right at the Wrong Time sort of farce. Adam Driver and Mackenzie Davis are the two “best friends” who show up to remind … Continue reading