Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: The plugged-in future's end game -- "LX 2048"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Movie Review: Time traveling to save Jesus, or shoot him? "Assassin 33 A.D."
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review -- Into the blurred murk of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 17, 2018
Preview, “Hal” tells the story of the filmmaker who gave us “Being There,” “Shampoo” and the cult classic “Harold and Maude”
“The Last Detail,” “Shampoo,” “Coming Home,” “Bound for Glory,” “Harold and Maude” and being there — Hal Ashby was every bit as important to film in the ’70s as Scorsese and Allen, Altman and Coppola. He was, as those testifying … Continue reading
A novel milieu and an understated turn by Jack Jovcic, playing a mobster turned priest, give the otherwise dour Australian drama “Hidden Light” a fighting chance. Writer-director Aaron Kamp set his story in the Serbian Orthodox community of Perth, Australia, … Continue reading
Preview, “Cruise” parks Emily Ratajkowski with a Bad Boy car thief in a bad decade for cars — the ’80s — “Cruise”
So we’ve got this faux ’50s Italian-American greaser (Spencer Boldman) who swipes cars and car radios on 1980s Long Island, and this Jewish Girl Who Wants to be Bad (Emily Ratajkowski) who takes a tumble with him over the course … Continue reading
Preview, Aubrey Plaza, Jemaine Clement and Craig Robinson go screwball in “An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn”
A Sundance farce that looks madcap, slapstick, surreal and Jemaine all at once. A guy known for screwball horror (“The Greasy Strangler”) is behind it, Emile Hirsch is also in it. Plaza’s reliably hilarious and should do nothing but make … Continue reading
Weekend Movies: “Crazy Rich Asians” won’t get crazy rich, “Mile 22” may mark Wahlberg, “Alpha” won’t be top dog
The Wednesday opening of “Crazy Rich Asians” came in at $5 million, not the $6 million originally projected (Deadline.com has walked its numbers back). Thursday night’s “Mile 22” money wasn’t all that. And “Alpha” was always going to be a … Continue reading
Forget “Alpha,” here’s the REAL “dog of August” at the movies — “Mile 22” — an antic, nonsensical and bloody B-movie amped up by Mark Wahlberg’s motor-mouthed character and the savage, sadistic martial arts stylings of Iko Uwais. Wahlberg’s go-to director, … Continue reading