Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Vergara and Manganiello face the "Bottom of the Ninth"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Deja Vu "Dune"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Landmark Film Review: "The Killing Floor," a classic of Labor and African American cinema, newly restored
- Movie Review: Polyamorous and Bi, she lives for "Lust Life Love" and in that order
- Book Review: The "Real" Judy Greer speaks up in "I Don't Know What You Know Me From"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 17, 2018
Preview, “Hal” tells the story of the filmmaker who gave us “Being There,” “Shampoo” and the cult classic “Harold and Maude”
“The Last Detail,” “Shampoo,” “Coming Home,” “Bound for Glory,” “Harold and Maude” and being there — Hal Ashby was every bit as important to film in the ’70s as Scorsese and Allen, Altman and Coppola. He was, as those testifying … Continue reading
A novel milieu and an understated turn by Jack Jovcic, playing a mobster turned priest, give the otherwise dour Australian drama “Hidden Light” a fighting chance. Writer-director Aaron Kamp set his story in the Serbian Orthodox community of Perth, Australia, … Continue reading
Preview, “Cruise” parks Emily Ratajkowski with a Bad Boy car thief in a bad decade for cars — the ’80s — “Cruise”
So we’ve got this faux ’50s Italian-American greaser (Spencer Boldman) who swipes cars and car radios on 1980s Long Island, and this Jewish Girl Who Wants to be Bad (Emily Ratajkowski) who takes a tumble with him over the course … Continue reading
Preview, Aubrey Plaza, Jemaine Clement and Craig Robinson go screwball in “An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn”
A Sundance farce that looks madcap, slapstick, surreal and Jemaine all at once. A guy known for screwball horror (“The Greasy Strangler”) is behind it, Emile Hirsch is also in it. Plaza’s reliably hilarious and should do nothing but make … Continue reading
Weekend Movies: “Crazy Rich Asians” won’t get crazy rich, “Mile 22” may mark Wahlberg, “Alpha” won’t be top dog
The Wednesday opening of “Crazy Rich Asians” came in at $5 million, not the $6 million originally projected (Deadline.com has walked its numbers back). Thursday night’s “Mile 22” money wasn’t all that. And “Alpha” was always going to be a … Continue reading
Forget “Alpha,” here’s the REAL “dog of August” at the movies — “Mile 22” — an antic, nonsensical and bloody B-movie amped up by Mark Wahlberg’s motor-mouthed character and the savage, sadistic martial arts stylings of Iko Uwais. Wahlberg’s go-to director, … Continue reading