Top Posts & Pages
- Series Review: Is "WandaVision" a Marvel?
- Netflixable? A Norwegian "car toon" -- "Asphalt Burning (Børning 3)"
- Netflixable? "100% Halal," a soapy, almost edgy dramedy from Islamic Indonesia
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review: A Deadly, Panicked Police Shooting, the definition of "Blindfire"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: There's little redeeming about "Redemption Day"
- Netflixable? Coming of age and coming out in Taiwan -- "Your Name Engraved Herein"
- Netflixable? "High Strung Free Dance"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: June 24, 2014
Writer-director John Carney re-plays his greatest hit with “Begin Again,” a semi-successful attempt to recreate the magic of the Oscar-winning musical “Once” in New York with a big name cast.Get past the wildly improbable “music biz” moments and impromptu performances … Continue reading
Amy Poehler and Paul Rudd are such reliably funny actors that you’d be safe betting they could perform an instruction manual and still be amusing doing it. Which is kind of what “They Came Together” is, a How-to-Make-a-Romantic-Comedy primer. Think … Continue reading
Still having a lot of trouble not rolling my eyes over this remake, but if you’re a fan, go nuts.
We only hear his voice, running underneath mugshot photos and the occasional bit of silent black and white surveillance footage. Convicted crime boss and murderer Whitey Bulger comes off as articulate and calm, with that polished voice having a “Who, … Continue reading
In “Drones,” a man and a woman sit in an air conditioned trailer in Nevada, working joysticks and making life-or-death decisions about the people they’re keeping an eye-in-the-sky on, eight thousand miles away.One’s the pilot, the other the officer in … Continue reading
Does American comedy travel? Not that well, according to the not-that-strong box office returns of most Hollywood laughers. A few major stars open their pictures well overseas, but is Melissa McCarthy one of them? This UK trailer for her raunchy … Continue reading