Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: "Umrika" sadly reminds one of the America the rest of the world used to see
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? "How I Fell in Love with a Gangster" gives a Polish twist to the Mob Boss Saga
- Netflixable? "The Royal Treatment," a haircut with dull scissors
- Netflixable? "The House," a dark comedy of stop-motion animated horror in three acts
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: September 7, 2021
The teaser trailer…
This mid-Oct release from IFC is about an American filmmaking couple (Roth and Krieps) who vacation in the Faroe Islands, where Ingmar Bergman made his most famous films, and rediscover the memories and connections that made them a couple in … Continue reading
Netflixable? COVID and romance in the Philippines? Maybe it’s happening “Here and There (Dito at Doon)”
Whatever new ground the Philippine cinema is breaking in dramas and thrillers, the romances and rom-coms rolling out of there and onto Netflix aren’t making any impression. Even taking into account cultural differences as we travel Around the World with … Continue reading
We’ve seen other versions of this operator who cares tale, starring Halle Berry and others. This Oct. 1 take on the genre looks more fraught. On Netflix
The fin de siecle for London’s independent music scene showed up a little late, and seemed awfully retro as it passed from existence, at least in the version related in Laura Jean Marsh‘s too-brief, too-thinly-sketched parable “Giddy Stratospheres.” A bunch … Continue reading
The animation for this MGM sequel is amazing. It really pops. The story may focus more on Wednesday, but we’ve still got Oscar Isaac and Charlize Theron voicing Gomez and Morticia. They’re releasing this to theaters and streaming on Oct. … Continue reading
The gloriously sentimental 9/11 musical “Come from Away” comes to Apple TV with all its Canadian cuddliness intact. This filmed version of the Tony winning show captures the charms of this folksy production, about the good people of Newfoundland and … Continue reading