Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? "Photocopier" reminds us that in Indonesia and elsewhere, the Revolution will not be Televised
- Movie Review: Dutch Road Ragers are just the worst -- "Tailgate (Bumperkleef)"
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Classic Film Review: Renoir's "The Southerner (1945)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 27, 2021
You’d have to go back — WAY back — to find a New York tale as sweet and uplifting as “The Outside Story.” It’s the cinema’s first bon bon of 2021, a slight but unexpected delight. Writer-director Casimir Nozkowski’s debut … Continue reading
Here’s a fun little cover-up-a-killing thriller set in the cutthroat subculture of board games and their creation. “Murder Bury Win” sports a few flashes of wit and some engaging characters, but lacks the pacing and punchiness that might have put … Continue reading
The phrase “sullen teen” doesn’t know borders and has symptoms one can recognize anywhere on Earth. The frown is there just to break up the monotony of the omnipresent scowl. “Please” and “thank you” are the hardest words in any … Continue reading
I seem to recall diving into the original “Dunkirk” film, a black and white epic made in 1958, and never getting very far into it. As war movies go, it’s a drab, formulaic affair, even by the “Longest Day” standards … Continue reading