Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Netflixable? "The Ice Road" should make even Liam Neeson say, "Oh, come ON now!"
- Netflixable? Romania is home to "The Father Who Moves Mountains (Tata mută munții)"
- Bingeworthy? Danes face terror, and personal reckonings for it "When the Dust Settles"
- Netflixable? "Confessions of an Invisible Girl" include Brazilians and waxing
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
- Documentary Review: "The Jesus Music" explores the history of CCM -- "Contemporary Christian Music"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? French cops bend the rules and pay the price getting their bust in "The Stronghold (BAC Nord)"
- Movie Review: 19th century French "open-mindedness" -- "Curiosa" and "Curiosa"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 3, 2017
August used to be home to movies that weren’t quite muscular enough to hold their own against prime summer cinema competition. Then “Signs” came along. And “Guardians of the Galaxy.” Blockbusters can break out of August as easily as most … Continue reading
I caught “The Circle” after the tepid heat of its weak opening weekend, after the first wave of overwhelmingly negative reviews. And I didn’t have to read those reviews to pick up on what turned people off to this ambitious, … Continue reading
“Sleight” is a prestidigitation thriller that lives up to its title only if you misspell it. It’s a smart kid drug-dealer trying to “get out” tale, slight in its ambitions, blessed by a charming cast but sorely lacking the magic … Continue reading
The surprise success of the middling but good-hearted and “immigrant” topical parenting comedy “Instructions Not Included” was enough to convince Hollywood that it should be in the Eugenio Derbez business, and quickly, before the 50something Mexican funnyman aged out of … Continue reading
It takes a village to raise Baby Groot. There are worse things that you could call a trigger-happy/tech savvy ill-tempered talking raccoon than “raccoon.” “Trash panda,” for instance. “Triangle-headed dog.” Sly Stallone doesn’t do alien makeup, because he’s Sly Stallone. … Continue reading