Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "An Affair to Die For" has a plot worth stealing
- Movie Review: Old West prejudices Die Hard in the New West of "The Bygone"
- Movie Review: Bale and Damon, "Ford v Ferrari"
- Movie Review: Fraternity life leads to frat boy torture in "Pledge"
- Netflixable? "The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch" isn't ale vos
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Movie Review: Bringing back Neanderthals proves problematic in "William"
- Netflixable? French gangsters fight a turf war in Thailand on "Paradise Beach"
- Netflixable? As this story is from Spain, "The Influence" ("La influencia") just might be a witch
- Movie Review: So who's the "Parasite" here?
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 3, 2017
August used to be home to movies that weren’t quite muscular enough to hold their own against prime summer cinema competition. Then “Signs” came along. And “Guardians of the Galaxy.” Blockbusters can break out of August as easily as most … Continue reading
I caught “The Circle” after the tepid heat of its weak opening weekend, after the first wave of overwhelmingly negative reviews. And I didn’t have to read those reviews to pick up on what turned people off to this ambitious, … Continue reading
“Sleight” is a prestidigitation thriller that lives up to its title only if you misspell it. It’s a smart kid drug-dealer trying to “get out” tale, slight in its ambitions, blessed by a charming cast but sorely lacking the magic … Continue reading
The surprise success of the middling but good-hearted and “immigrant” topical parenting comedy “Instructions Not Included” was enough to convince Hollywood that it should be in the Eugenio Derbez business, and quickly, before the 50something Mexican funnyman aged out of … Continue reading
It takes a village to raise Baby Groot. There are worse things that you could call a trigger-happy/tech savvy ill-tempered talking raccoon than “raccoon.” “Trash panda,” for instance. “Triangle-headed dog.” Sly Stallone doesn’t do alien makeup, because he’s Sly Stallone. … Continue reading