Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: Jolie is the you-know-what weight in "Those Who Wish Me Dead"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Documentary Review: The perpetrators of The Holocaust, "just following orders," give their "Final Account"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: Rednecks pick the wrong gay couple to torture at "The Retreat"
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 16, 2021
Writers Guild nominates “Palm Springs” and “Ma Rainey,” “News of the World” and “Judas” for WGA Awards
This is an easily defended set of nominations for best original and adapted screenplays. Quibble with “Borat Subsequent Movie Film” if you want, the omission of “Mank.” But “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “News of the World,” “The White Tiger,” … Continue reading
You can’t review a movie based on the degree of difficulty in getting it finished. Even if it’s “Fitzcarraldo.” Ok, maybe if it’s “Fitzcatraldo.” The Canadians who filmed “Death Trip” suffered for their art. Characters run into the snow in … Continue reading
“Little Big Women” is a most watchable dry-eyed weeper about a family of Taiwanese women coming to grips with death, disappointment, and divorce, and those are just the “Ds” in their litany of woe. “Woe” is a bit strong here. … Continue reading
Good thrillers make you work to figure out what’s going on and assume you’re smart enough to do just that. Bad thrillers explain, explain and over-explain, as if you’re even dumber than the folks who made them. “Paranormal Prison” has … Continue reading
What are they selling here, aside from the obvious?
We will see what we see when we see it.