Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? On the market, and ready for a lowball offer -- "Hostage House"
- Movie Review: A murder unsolved, a romance tested -- "The Violent Heart"
- Movie Review: Never bet against "Notorious Nick" in the Octagon
- Movie Review: A Different "Suicide Squad," a Lot More Laughs, and Slaughter
- Movie Preview: "A Savage Nature" is a "true story" mass murder drama
- Movie Preview: Jennifer Hudson is defiant, proud and Aretha demanding "Respect"
- Movie Review: Another tale of "Payback," lamer than all the rest
- Movie Review: Trapped in a maze, doomed to "Meander"
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 16, 2021
Writers Guild nominates “Palm Springs” and “Ma Rainey,” “News of the World” and “Judas” for WGA Awards
This is an easily defended set of nominations for best original and adapted screenplays. Quibble with “Borat Subsequent Movie Film” if you want, the omission of “Mank.” But “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “News of the World,” “The White Tiger,” … Continue reading
You can’t review a movie based on the degree of difficulty in getting it finished. Even if it’s “Fitzcarraldo.” Ok, maybe if it’s “Fitzcatraldo.” The Canadians who filmed “Death Trip” suffered for their art. Characters run into the snow in … Continue reading
“Little Big Women” is a most watchable dry-eyed weeper about a family of Taiwanese women coming to grips with death, disappointment, and divorce, and those are just the “Ds” in their litany of woe. “Woe” is a bit strong here. … Continue reading
Good thrillers make you work to figure out what’s going on and assume you’re smart enough to do just that. Bad thrillers explain, explain and over-explain, as if you’re even dumber than the folks who made them. “Paranormal Prison” has … Continue reading
What are they selling here, aside from the obvious?
We will see what we see when we see it.