Top Posts & Pages
- Documentary Review: "My Darling Vivian" knew how to "Walk the Line"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: Jolie is the you-know-what weight in "Those Who Wish Me Dead"
- Documentary Review: Meditating meetings with E.T. -- "Close Encounters of the Fifth Kind"
- Movie Review: "First Signal" ruins that moment when the aliens "phone home"
- Documentary Review: The perpetrators of The Holocaust, "just following orders," give their "Final Account"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: Strangers, thrown together -- "Getting to Know You"
- Movie Review: Trapped, with escape the only "Antidote"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 9, 2021
Perhaps there’s something the Poles can teach us all about unfiltered, unfettered youth sex horror comedies. Or at least the Slovenian who wrote and directed “All My Friends Are Dead” could pass on his thoughts. This is a standard-issue Hollywood … Continue reading
A “Zoom” party, a new drug, and a murder. This comes our way Feb. 26, for those who like the idea of seeing an even bleaker “lockdown” future.
There’s a hardnosed, cynical and downbeat political thriller straining to get out in “Black Beach,” a Spanish film about First World corruption and Third World strife. It’s a bit of a slog, frustrating and convoluted. The filmmakers can’t gracefully extract … Continue reading
“Space Sweepers” is what K-Pop looks like in sci-fi movie form. A not-quite-amusing mashup of “Valerian” and “The Fifth Element,” “Blade Runner” and “Elysium,” it’s the sugariest eye candy Netflix has ever produced. It’s gorgeous, and if you’re all about … Continue reading
Short running time feature dramas have an obligation to get down to business, to not squander screen time on clutter. There’s no room for extraneous characters, scenes jammed in that don’t advance the plot, needlessly obscuring relationships when the occasional … Continue reading