Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Well, at least the Canary Islands glow in "So My Grandma's a Lesbian"
- Movie Review: "Some Southern Waters" wash up on a David Lynch shore
- Netflixable? Hippie teen has a Rio predicament in "Double Dad"
- Movie Review: To have a "close encounter," you need "Proximity"
- Netflixable? A child's migration odyssey -- "Adu'"
- Netflixable? For the love of a woman, he makes "L'ascension (The Climb)" up Everest
- Bingeable? Brit Dramedy "Flack" celebrates and eviscerates the dirty business of image control and publicity
- Movie Review: The Tender Mercies of Facing Cancer with "Our Friend"
- Netflixable? "Sightless" and paranoid -- maybe with good reason
- Movie Review: RZA goes Tarantino-ish for "Cut Throat City"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: January 2014
Paramount did itself no favors by showing “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit” to a few New York and LA and trade publication critics in advance, and stiffing the rest of us with screenings after deadline. The first wave of reviews — … Continue reading
The dog knows. The dog always knows in movies about the Devil, because there’s the scent of Satan in the air. Maverick, a Setter, knows that something’s up with Samantha’s mysterious, post-honeymoon in Santo Domingo pregnancy. Her OB-GYN may not … Continue reading
Well, “All is Lost” plainly didn’t make enough money and have enough legs to give Robert Redford his last legitimate shot at a best actor Oscar. Bummer. His audience is as old as he is, and that wasn’t a help. … Continue reading
Tom Clancy’s C.I.A. analyst-hero Jack Ryan returns to the screen in a workmanlike if unoriginal and uninspiring reboot — “Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.”Hardcore fans of espionage thrillers will recognize it as on a par with the least of the Jason … Continue reading
A little Kevin Hart goes a long way in “Ride Along,” a dull buddy picture engineered as a vehicle for the mini motor mouth and the perma-sneering Ice Cube.It’s mismatched cops on patrol in Atlanta in this “48 Hours/Bad Boys/Showtime/The … Continue reading
Here are your Golden Raspberry (Razzie) nominations for the calendar year 2013. As I have mentioned elsewhere, it was a banner year for not just good movies, but really bad ones as well. I used to vote in this “contest,” … Continue reading
Ever wanted to know how to paint like a “Dutch Master”? Is there a trick to it, a technology that allows you and allowed, say, Vermeer, to cheat and create an effect? That’s the subject of “Tim’s Vermeer,” an inventor’s … Continue reading
If you’re going to make cartoons about critters, the late Chuck “Looney Toons” Jones used to preach, build them around the animal’s chief concern — survival. Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are always avoiding the shotgun and the stew pot. … Continue reading