Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Classic Film Review: Matthau Stars, Directs and flirts with his future wife in "Gangster Story" (1959)
- Netflixable? "You People" throws funny people at a lot of funny, fly rom-com riffs
- Netflixable? Brazil's "Just Short of Perfect" tries to transcend "shorty" jokes
- Movie Review: Israeli melodrama "Broken Mirrors" takes guilt to its generational extremes
- Movie Review: A Grifter by Any Other Name? "Sharper"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Movie Review: A Dolly Impersonator struggles to be "Seriously Red"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 29, 2022
A simple coming-of-age tale built on the novelty that this story is about a teenage Black fly girl in Brooklyn, 1994’s “Alma’s Rainbow” earns a 4K restoration and re-release Writer-director Ayoka Chenzira launched her career with this debut feature. Almost … Continue reading
“Slight” can be a great virtue in an intimate indie film, especially when it’s paired with “twee.” That’s the potential we’re looking for when we sit down to “Shalom Taiwan,” an Argentinian comedy/travelogue about a Buenos Aires rabbi who goes … Continue reading
A little shouting at the screen when watching a movie can be a good thing — liberating, underscoring hw involved you’ve gotten in the story. And then there’s the shouting one must simply must do at “Pipa,” retitled “Recurrence” for … Continue reading
There’s no sense sugar-coating this or beating around the bush. The Korean in-flight thriller “Emergency Declaration” laughably steals a lot of over-the-top plot points from “Airplane!” and the trouble-mid-flight thriller that “Airplane!” set out to spoof, 1957’s “Zero Hour!” There … Continue reading
“Classic” Film Review: Charles Bronson’s kinkiest — and he knew it — “Lola,” aka “London Affair” or “Twinky” (1970)
It’s ever-so-hard to type when one is clutching one’s pearls over the shock, the pervy NERVE of it all! A 38 year-old American novelist living in London has an affair with a 15-16 year-old mini-skirted Mod, and marries her rather … Continue reading