Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? "You People" throws funny people at a lot of funny, fly rom-com riffs
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Movie Review: Why is Anthony Hopkins in "Where Are You?"
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Movie Review: A Surprise Oscar nomination comes with Controversy, "To Leslie"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: July 28, 2022
One gimmick is about all your average 79 minute horror movie can manage, but at least that one trick is kind of promising in “Glorious.” Fresh-off-a-breakup Wes (Ryan Kwanten) polishes off a long drive, a purge and an alcoholic binge … Continue reading
Racy for its day, and still seriously ribald today, this 1976 classic from Brazil has been restored and re issued by Film Movement. Here’s my review of this comical “troubled marriage” farce. Person County, N.C. and its library system win … Continue reading
No they’re not showing us much. Yet. One year out from release, the hype continues apace.
Classic Film Review: Nicholson directs a social satire in basketball shorts — “Drive, He Said” (1971)
The mid-60s into the early ’70s were the golden age of film satire, or so my grad school professors insisted. And Oscar-winner-to-be Jack Nicholson was right in the thick of it — “Easy Rider,” “Head,” “Five Easy Pieces,” “Carnal Knowledge.” … Continue reading
Bobby Cannavale and Oscar winner Adrien Brody are among the co-stars in this Netflix take on MM’s later life. Netflix? They wrote some big checks. Is the accent right, or close enough? Or has the shrinking streamer service thrown more … Continue reading
“Hansan: Rising Dragon” is a Korean naval war epic that takes us into the actions — before and during a series of sea battles in the 1590s — of Korea’s great naval genius, Admiral Yi Soon Shin. It’s a sprawling … Continue reading
MGM and Sly get into the unkillable superhero business with Sylvester Stallone in this “Death Wish” vengeance-driven thriller, Aug. 26.
Movie Preview: A South American country reminds us how you prosecute traitors — fearlessly, and swiftly — “Argentina: 1985”
Coming soon to Prime Video, a legal thriller with the highest stakes possible.
A big turn by John Boyega, with support from Nicole Beharie, Connie Britton and Michael K. Williams. An African American Georgia-set “Dog Day Afternoon” is the pitch, and this looks very good. Aug. 26, from Bleecker Street.