Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Dutch, Germans, Brits and Canadians live through "The Forgotten Battle"
- Concert Doc Review -- "Dave Chapelle: The Closer"
- Movie Review: A Philippines serial killer hides in "Smaller and Smaller Circles" as priests close in
- Movie Review: Deja Vu "Dune"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Movie Review: Polyamorous and Bi, she lives for "Lust Life Love" and in that order
- Movie Review: "Halloween Kills," Halloween dies
- Book Review: The "Real" Judy Greer speaks up in "I Don't Know What You Know Me From"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Review: "Tiptoes," a title that shall live...in infamy
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: March 30, 2021
If you remember your documentaries, you’ll recall that a certain Detroit singer was huge in South Africa in the late ’70s and onward. It’s still a little jarring for a 1981 period piece to confirm that, soldiers cleaning their rifles … Continue reading
A broken-hearted guy not quite getting over a breakup lets us see his pain, his world and what’s funny about it in this April 30 release from Samuel Goldwyn.
“Moffie” is a South African “Full Metal Jacket,” a drama about the dehumanizing nature of combat training, the need to turn “soft” conscripts into unquestioning killing machines and an arm of foreign policy and the psychic cost that can have. … Continue reading
Young love is tested by illness and honesty issues in “Caught by a Wave,” a scenic Italian romance set against a sailing backdrop. The leads are pretty and the locales romantic, but the scenario is generic and the pacing funereal … Continue reading
Filmgoers tend to assume they’re watching “the director’s cut” of pretty much every movie we see. But despite having the job title that suggests final arbiter of “my film,” that’s often not the case. Producers and studio execs are shorten … Continue reading
With popcorn movies like “Godzilla vs. Kong,” the main thing is getting the tone right. Outside of kaiju cultists, nobody takes this nonsense seriously. So the movie should reflect that. Comic relief characters like the conspiracy nut Bernie (Brian Tyree … Continue reading
Kind of a bummer that they’re reunited in an American armored car guard pic. Scott Eastwood is in it But beggars can’t be choosers, right?