Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? A French "Unhappy Hooker" to the stars -- "Madame Claude"
- Netflixable? You'll never guess "What Lies Below"
- Netflixable? Sad, scenic "Keeping the Bees" shows a Turkey we never see in the movies
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Movie Review: "Stars Fell on Alabama" -- But laughs? Nope.
- Netflixable? A "Bad Trip" that goes a prank or two too far
- Book Review: "Woody Allen. Apropos of Nothing. Autobiography."
- Movie Review -- "SAS: Red Notice," as bad as action films get
- Movie Review: Giant Crawly bug menaces "The Arbors"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: February 26, 2015
As accounts of movie-flops-in-the-making go, “My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn” is a pretty tame affair. The stakes are low. Nobody died or divorced, nobody’s career ended. The director of “Drive” only loses his temper when he has to … Continue reading
“Everly” is the sort of gonzo guns and Ginsu knives thriller Tarantino made back before he discovered the joys of bloat. It’s the sort of movie where the titular heroine (Salma Hayek) takes bullets and stabbings and keeps coming back … Continue reading
“The Lazarus Effect” is what happens when hip, smart actors commit themselves to a horror movie, body and soul. Mark Duplass (“Safety Not Guaranteed”), a mainstay of indie cinema’s microbudget “mumblecore” movement, and recent convert Olivia Wilde (“Drinking Buddies”) ably … Continue reading