Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Ashley Benson and Shiloh Fernandez face off over "Private Property"
- Documentary Review: A ski resort disaster dissected -- "Buried: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche"
- That song Justin Long sings along to in "Barbarian?"
- Movie Review: A Dystopian Future whose hopes hang on a "Vesper"
- Movie Review: "Project Wolf Hunting" is a Slaughterhouse at Sea
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: A Farrelly Brother and Zac Efron set out on "The Greatest Beer Run Ever"
- Movie Review: A Psychopath's Origin Story -- "Pearl"
- Movie Review: Antonio Banderas classes up "The Enforcer"
- Netflixable? Bitter War widow warms, just a little, when she has to care for "Justine"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 27, 2022
Sept 23, in a cinema near you. A little “get you outta prison to join our special ops” thriller. Never seen THAT before…
Netflix has this one, which co-stars Journee Smollett as the neighbor/single mom whose kid might have been swiped to smoke out the bad ass retiree with “special skills” that the Oscar-winning Janney plays. Sept. 23. I may have to get … Continue reading
Cute take on the novels that became a Chevy Chase franchise way back in the day — until nobody wanted to work with Chevy Chase any more. This is another Gregory McDonald book, about murders and art theft, very cinematic … Continue reading
All the Twitter talk about Michael Mann’s “Heat” prequel novel and when it might be turned into a film has had me quipping “I’m holding out for his ‘FIRST of the Mohicans’” more times than the joke can stand. I … Continue reading
The classic handicap of any “stoner comedy” is the expectations the filmmakers often put on the audience. If you’re coming to a stoner comedy, what you want out of it and what they need out of you is kind of…baked … Continue reading
Movie Preview: Don DeLillo’s epic novel “White Noise” lures Driver, Baumbach and a big check from Netflix
A classic, National Book Award-winning, satiric, career-launching post-modern novel, the film version reunites director Noah Baumbach and his “While We’re Young/Marriage Stories” star Adam Driver, and gives Driver his first Middle Aged Man role, that of a death-obsessed college professor … Continue reading
I think about this bit of stuntman derring do every time I see “Beast,” or any digital lion, bear, gator, croc or dog on the screen. You think it’s more faked than it actually was. Nuh-uh.
As it drifts on well past its expiration date, the great Schwarzenegger/Stallone rivalry still has its unfinished business. Until now. At long last Sly Stallone has his “Last Action Hero,” an action pic — in this case a superhero story … Continue reading