Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Noel Diary" barely breaks the Hallmark Holiday Formula
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Movie Review: Santa Claus vs. the Kidnappers -- "Violent Night"
- Movie Review: Disney gets lost in the animated doldrums in "Strange World"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? "Glass Onion" finds the "Knives" still "Out," but duller
- Next Screening? Santa David Harbour faces down Johnny Legs? "Violent Night"
- Netflixable? A Polish cop turns undercover teacher with a two-fisted "Lesson Plan"
- Movie Review: Nivola is lost in his own head in "Weightless"
- Movie Review: Fraser shines in capturing a life beached and foundering -- "The Whale"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: May 7, 2022
Movie Review: Cruz, Banderas et al send up the pretention of Cannes and Cannes films in “Official Competition”
“Official Competition” is an arid farce about movies as “cinema,” the pretension of festivals and festival-honored films made by “critics’ darlings.” It’s built on scenes that either hit the bullseye, or miss the mark because of slow pacing and a … Continue reading
Mixed reviews and Sam Raimi’s offbeat turn toward horror in the third act haven’t dampened the box office impact of “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.” The film pulled in $36 million from Thursday, adding up to a $90 … Continue reading
Today’s DVD donation? Ang Lee’s breakout film, “Pushing Hands,” comes to the South Boston, Va. Public library
Ang Lee would go on to Oscar winning glory, helming “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Broke back Mountain.” But his debut feature was a touching and sometimes amusing fish-out-of-water story about an old widower trying to fit in with his … Continue reading
Bad news/good news time. Bad news, Justin Lin finally decided the high price of (Vin) Diesel was reason enough to bail out of the “Fast and Furious” franchise. He quit “Fast X.” Good news, Louis Leterrier, director of the tighter, … Continue reading