Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Getting over "Whelm," and in a hurry
- Documentary Review: "What the Hell Happened to Blood, Sweat & Tears?"
- Netflixable? A Colombian Male Wish Fulfillment Fantasy -- "The Last Man on Earth"
- Movie Review: Bar-coded Pandemic Paranoia drops in on "Red River Road"
- Movie Review: Heche, Baldwin, Ulrich and Co. Chase a "Supercell"
- Movie Review: "The School of Magical Animals," Hogwarts-lite from Germany
- Series Review: "Daisy Jones & the Six," Never quite "Almost Famous"
- Movie Review: An Alpine Peak Too Far, "Summit Fever"
- Netflixable? A Cross-Cultural Rom-Com from "Faraway"
- Movie Review: Lifelong Friends Journey from "Chantilly Lace" to "Chantilly Bridge"
Find a Movie Review
Like Movie Nation on Facebook
Daily Archives: January 23, 2018
Oscar time, and time to place your bets?
If you really REALLY believe that old Oscar truism, “Best Directors direct Best Pictures,” this might be a good time to put your money where that belief is. Because even though writer-director Martin McDonagh was ROBBED and not nominated as … Continue reading
Movie Review: “The Misguided” stumble through their college years in Perth, Australia
One thing that poker, the stock market and fiction share in common is “the buy in.” In movies, that’s the mental leap we make when we accept dramatic situations and scripted characters as real. “The Misguided” is a not-quite-gritty West … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Movie Review: “The Misguided” stumble through their college years in Perth, Australia
Movie Review: Heather Graham directs a Heather Graham sex comedy, “Half Magic”
As an actress, Heather Graham’s career has been marked by just a couple of moves. She can go wide-eyed, delivering perky banter at an acceptably blinding speed, rolling those wide eyes here and there for effect. She can go vertical, … Continue reading
Posted in Reviews, previews, profiles and movie news Comments Off on Movie Review: Heather Graham directs a Heather Graham sex comedy, “Half Magic”
A “Just Deserts” Oscars? Almost…
It’s too common to talk about “Oscar snubs,” as if Academy Award nominations are some sort of entitlement. No talk, then, of “one last nomination” for Judi Dench (“Victoria & Abdul”). Let’s forget about Hugh Jackman, who could have pulled … Continue reading