Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Netflixable? Italian pranksters discover "The Price of Family" is no bargain
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Movie Review: "The Banshees of Inisherin"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: April 2014
Gabrielle is 22 and impulsive. But who isn’t, at that age?She wears her heart on her sleeve and a grin on her face. She loves her bracelets, and she loves to sing. Gabrielle has perfect pitch, “just like my father.” … Continue reading
No surprise that another of Disneynature’s engaging, kid-friendly documentaries has earned universal thumbs up from critics. “Bears” has really good photography, faintly cute (ok, cloying) narration by the ursine John C. Reilly, and no bear dies. What’s not to love? … Continue reading
For years, the rumor about Johnny Depp was that he wouldn’t take a role that required him to get a haircut. “Chocolat,” “Pirates of the Caribbean,” “Once Upon a Time in Mexico,” “Sleepy Hollow” — unchallenging, mop-topped coincidences, or a … Continue reading
“Bears” is exactly the sort of nature documentary we’ve come to expect from Disneynature, the film division of the company that rolls out a new nature documentary every year at Earth Day.It’s gorgeous, intimate and beautifully photographed. And it’s cute … Continue reading
Greg Kinnear, an actor perpetually on the verge of tears (he’s the “white Terrence Howard) is the perfect choice to play a preacher whose son tells him he’s been to heaven. And “Heaven is for Real,” based on a book … Continue reading
“Fading Gigolo” is John Turturro’s idea of an old school Woody Allen comedy, so he wrote Allen into it.It’s a sentimental farce that presents Turturro as a Brooklyn Jack of All Trades whose pal (Allen) decides another trade this Jack, … Continue reading
of his many associations with Spike Lee — from “Do the Right Thing,” to “Clockers” to “He Got Game” — eight films stretching back to the ’80s.Or maybe it’s the “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” connection, his four films with … Continue reading
Based on the great Friday night it had, “Rio 2” appeared headed for a $43 million opening weekend at the box office, an established brand whose fans ignored poor reviews to give it a weekend win over blockbuster “Captain America: … Continue reading
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” seemed overly praised when it opened last week. To me, it’s more of a shrug than “the best Marvel movie” since this or that. The swooning by a few seemed unwarranted. Audiences made it a … Continue reading