Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? "Aileen Wuornos: American Boogeywoman" is trash, and not the good kind
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Netflixable? Faith-based dance romance "Faith, Hope & Love" misses a step or three
- Movie Preview: Silverstone, a Tsunami and Sharks? "The Requin"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: August 12, 2016
So the plunge in “Suicide Squad” has begun. It set the August opening weekend record last Sunday night $135 million, but it was headed towards $144 at one time. And this weekend, with Thursday night late shows gone, it’s looking … Continue reading
It all goes back to the Wit and Wisdom of Spock — classic Spock. Whatever each and every one of us does to “stretch,” to “get out of our comfort zones,” there’s a lot to be said for … Continue reading
Oh, to be a defense contractor in a time long ago in a galaxy far, far away. To be a Lockheed Martin or Halliburton with some sort of Emperor/Imperial Senate “no bid contract” arrangement. Because all those rubes want is … Continue reading
The new trailer to this Christmas’s new “Star Wars Story,” “Rogue One,” gives us a tantalizing international (and Oscar winning) cast, with flickers of Forest Whitaker, Felicity Jones, Donnie Yen, Diego Luna and others. The tone is straight “Heart … Continue reading
Hirokazu Koreeda‘s “Our Little Sister” is a subtle, almost painfully slight character study about three young women whose opinions of their parents are enriched and polished when, after their wayward father dies, they take in a half-sister they never knew. Koreeda … Continue reading