Top Posts & Pages
- Of Cage and "Pig" and the "Northern Exposure" connection -- Adam Arkin
- Netflixable? French comedy "Spoiled Brats (Pourris gâtés)" doesn't "Teach them a lesson"
- Netflixable? Sad to say, "Father Christmas Is Back"
- Netflixable? Brazil's "Just Short of Perfect" tries to transcend "shorty" jokes
- Movie Review: A murder unsolved, a romance tested -- "The Violent Heart"
- Movie Review: The future's dystopian, but dull in "2149: The Aftermath"
- Documentary Review: White Privilege and Immigrant hunger team up for soccer in "Hood River"
- Netflixable? "Holly Star" tries to put the "cute" back in Christmas comedy
- Netflixable? A critical piece of "erased" history -- "The Chickasaw Rancher"
- Netflixable? "Swingers" in Spain? "More the Merrier (Donde Caben Dos)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: November 4, 2021
Classic Film Review — Eisenstein’s “October (Ten Days That Shook the World),” Montage of a Revolution (1927)
Coming back to Serge Eisenstein‘s textbook on screen editing and second best masterpiece of Soviet propaganda makes me recall when I first saw it, the MTV-80s. Back then, filmmakers moving from TV commercials and music videos were taking over the … Continue reading
Watch Discovery Channel’s Emmy Winning plastic pollution doc “The Story of Plastic” — free here and elsewhere through Nov. 30
Living on the water, I see the evidence of the poisonous litter that never goes away every single day. Let the cranks rage about losing their Mountain Dew bottles and straws, this nightmare is killing our waterways and getting into … Continue reading
For an hour or so, I wondered why exactly National Treasure Tom Hanks would take “Finch,” a sometimes cutesy, often maudlin End Times tale pairing him with a robot. Then he gets to the “telling anecdote,” the tale his character … Continue reading
Netflixable? A Spaghetti Western featuring African Americans of the Old West — “The Harder They Fall”
British singer-songwriter and filmmaker Jeymes Samuel got Netflix money and an all-star cast to make his follow-up to “They Die By Dawn,” a Western that gathers many of the most famous or notorious African American figures of the Old West … Continue reading
Oscar winning best director and indie icon Chloé Zhao presides over another big budget, huge-cast “All in the Fractious Family” Marvel monstrosity with “Eternals,” an origin story that dates from when the comic book colossus ran out of things to … Continue reading