Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: A horrific survey of obscure "Phobias"
- Movie Review: Lovely-to-look-at-"Luca" is for tiny bambinos
- Movie Review: Hell's in Kentucky thanks to "The Devil Below"
- Classic Film Review: Young Frankenheimer's "The Young Savages" (1961)
- Movie Review: "Dutch" is a gangland saga that's no treat
- Movie Review: Lovecraft's "The Deep Ones" done on the cheap
- Preview, Burglar interrupts suicide, "romance" ensues in "Breaking & Exiting"
- Netflixable: If you cross Max, payback can be "Xtreme (Extremo)"
- Documentary Review: An "Unsolved Mystery" solved? "An Unknown Compelling Force" looks at the Dyatlov Pass Incident
- Netflixable? "Dancing Queens" is a Swedish drag
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 10, 2013
If ever a filmmaker had permission to let acclaim go to his head, it’s Benh Zeitlin, the 29 year old writer-director of “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” a no-budget neo-realist fantasy that has taken awards at Sundance and Cannes, and … Continue reading
There usually aren’t any laughs when Oscar nominations are announced. That’s why Seth MacFarlane’s planned and joked-up sharing of the announcements (with Emma Stone) this AM was so refreshing. Jokes about nominated actresses not needing “to pretend to like Harvey … Continue reading
Writer-producer Luc Besson gives us a parody of his earliest hits “La Femme Nikita” and “The Professional” with “Colombiana,” a lady assassin star vehicle for “Avatar’s” blue angel, Zoe Saldana. See Zoe kill. See Zoe strip. Many times. See Zoe … Continue reading
Before he won his Oscar, before he starting studying infamous murder cases, before taking on Robert McNamara and the whole justification for the Vietnam War, documentary filmmaker Errol Morris was known for finding America’s most colorful eccentrics and putting their … Continue reading
“Our Idiot Brother” has a menage a trois, nudity, pot use and profanity. But the unfailing sweetness of Paul Rudd’s lead performance makes what could have been another raunchy and rude R-rated farce a bracing change of pace in a … Continue reading
Since childhood, Corinne has been searching for something. She might have found it in a book, if the local librarian hadn’t yanked “Lord of the Flies” out of her hands. She might have found it in music, if mom (Broadway … Continue reading
I don’t know how the middling “The Pirates! A Band of Misfits” snuck into the best animated feature field. But here it is. I mean, I love Aardman, but this is easily their worst ever. Does it have a chance … Continue reading
Leonardo DiCaprio earned praise and scorn for his supporting turn in “Django Unchained.” No Oscar nomination. He’ll need to be in a better picture to land his Oscar. Kathryn Bigelow, Tom Hooper and Tarantino were conspicuous by their absence in … Continue reading
“Lincoln” pulled in the most nominations — 12. “Life of Pi,” without an actor on the list, had 11. “Silver Linings Playbook” had nominations in every acting category. But “Beasts of the Southern Wild (my review is here),” a no-budget … Continue reading
Let us go amongst the Sports Crazed for a few minutes of convincing them to get up off the sofa and head to the movies this weekend. Chatting with Mike “Bulldog” Bianchi and Brian “Fritzie” Fritz about the new releases … Continue reading