Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Movie Review: The plugged-in future's end game -- "LX 2048"
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Movie Review: "En Brazos de un asesino" (In the Arms of an Assassin)
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Movie Review: Time traveling to save Jesus, or shoot him? "Assassin 33 A.D."
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Movie Review -- Into the blurred murk of "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse"
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: January 1, 2013
The frenetic, comic and booze-assisted visit of King George and Queen (“Mum”) Elizabeth to the private home of President Franklin Roosevelt on the eve of World War II might make for a jaunty comedy of manners in the Downton Abbey … Continue reading
A horror movie might seem an oddly unambitious choice for rising starlet Jennifer Lawrence at this stage of her career. She’s been in one franchise (“X-Men: First Class”), launched another (“The Hunger Games”) and is earning serious Oscar buzz for … Continue reading
Welcome to the “Hotel Transylvania” where “you can check out any time you like, but you will never laugh.” With apologies to The Eagles, “almost never.”
Fifty years past his heyday, and thirty years after his death, the world still knows Alfred Hitchcock by reputation, even if you can’t get the kids to check out his classic movies. “Hitchcock,” a dark and dazzling bio-thriller about the … Continue reading
All the technical prowess of “aliens invade” thrillers, from “Independence Day” through “Battle: Lost Angeles,” and the best comic actors money can buy serve “Transformers: Dark of the Moon” well. The funniest, best-executed film in the Earth-protecting robots-that-look-like-cars-and-trucks series, … Continue reading
We meet Oliver as he is cleaning up his father’s bungalow and dumping Dad’s prescription pill supply down the toilet. His father has died, and we can see in Ewan McGregor’s face that this is but the latest blow to … Continue reading
You’ve never seen Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones quite like this. As old marrieds facing “intensive” couples counseling over their comatose sexual relationship, two of America’s finest screen actors are by turns silly, befuddled, awkward and confused. And “Hope … Continue reading
We haven’t seen Tom Hanks or Julia Roberts in a movie like “Larry Crowne” in decades.When you’ve got “Oscar winner” and “blockbuster hits” on your resume, feather-light character comedies fall off your radar.
Stupid freaking Judd Apatow, with his stupid freaking foul-mouthed and sentimental “Hobbit” length comedies, his stupid freaking insistence on not only peopling them with his old comic cronies, but his wife and cursing kids. Happy freaking R-rated holidays, America. Here’s … Continue reading