Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? Turkish "My Father's Violin (Babamin Kemani)" tugs at the heartstrings
- Documentary Review: Considering, remembering and dissecting the legend that was "Zappa"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Documentary Review: A fragile genius in his second prime -- "Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road"
- Netflixable? "Curtiz" makes a hash out of filming "Casablanca"
- Classic Film Review: Renoir's "The Southerner (1945)"
- Movie Review: Moping our way through "Elsewhere"
- Movie Review: Brit detective chases a serial killer in "Silent Hours"
- Movie Preview: Is "Therapy Dogs" "the last high school movie?"
- Movie Review: A Car Thief gets more than He Bargained for in that Toyota "4x4"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: December 2016
Video game movie adaptations aren’t really my thing, and for decades, they haven’t proven to be Hollywood’s thing either. But throwing a couple of Oscar winners, along with Michael Fassbender and $130 million at “Assassin’s Creed” could have changed that. … Continue reading
“Passengers” offers up such a spotless, pristine vision of our space traveling future that you might be tempted to book a flight. A gigantic, roomy and shiny space liner takes a crew of 250 or so and 5,000 paying clients … Continue reading
There’s no way Harrison Ford could have guessed that any of the roles he took on in the late ’70s on into the ’80s would turn out to be iconic in their genres. Yeah, Indiana Jones had to feel like … Continue reading
I’m such a huge fan of both of the McDonagh boys — playwright turned writer-director Martin (“In Bruges”, “Seven Psychopaths”) and his brother John Michael (“Calvary,” “The Guard”) that I’m willing to write-off “War on Everyone” as a pastiche that … Continue reading
Yeah, everybody figured “Office Christmas Party” was the movie to be this weekend, right? Blockbuster in the offing. Nah. Will Smith’s latest Shamesless Grab for an Oscar? “Collateral Beauty” is the worst Will Smith opening is the worst Will Smith … Continue reading
Another holiday weekend, another failed holiday feel-good pic. It’s “Collateral Beauty” this weekend, another craven Oscar craving crash-and-burn starring Will Smith. At the screening I attended, there were studio representatives reminding people that they’d need tissues. But there were no … Continue reading
Movies, even fairy tale adaptations, have taken to coddling kids — fretting more about offending than worrying if they’re challenging. “A Monster Calls” upends some of that conventional focus-group wisdom. Here’s a child’s fantasy that is as amusing as it … Continue reading
As “Miss Sloane,” Jessica Chastain wears blood-red lipstick over the palest of masks of makeup. Stiletto heels have never seem more aptly-named. Her dresses and stockings are in commanding shades of black. She rattles off long, discursive riffs about her … Continue reading
So there’s love for the cast of “Captain Fantastic,” and star Viggo Mortensen, and the A-listers in front of the camera in “Hidden Figures.” Those are the two big outliers from the Screen Actors Guild Award nominations. Jeff Bridges was … Continue reading
Now this is more like it. “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” has fresh faces, fresh music, fresh tech and a fresh take on “Star Wars,” a rarity in this venerable franchise. It’s almost wholly satisfying — witty, warm and … Continue reading