Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: "80 for Brady," Comic Sudden Death
- Netflixable? A taut Norwegian WWII thriller recalls the battle for "Narvik: Hitler's First Defeat"
- Movie Review: A Sequel to China's Sci-Fi/Disaster Blockbuster: "The Wandering Earth II"
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Movie Review: Miss this Appalachian thriller and there'll be "The Devil to Pay"
- Netflixable? A charming story of a French girl and her wolf -- "Vicky and Her Mystery (Mystère)"
- Netflixable? Italian pranksters discover "The Price of Family" is no bargain
- Movie Review: A Spaceship Encounters "Deus," and Unholy Heck Breaks Loose
- Movie Review: Low Camp in the High Andes, "Condor's Nest"
- Movie Review: "The Banshees of Inisherin"
Find a Movie Review
Monthly Archives: December 2016
Whatever the “meaning” of “Collateral Beauty” — and the title is given an incomplete but understandable definition in the film — it is to be appreciated for the lovely people it captures in loving, perfect close-ups. As Will Smith’s mad … Continue reading
The Golden Globes love them some Mel Gibson, and they’re thrilled to have the chance to welcome him back from the wilderness with nominations for his “Hacksaw Ridge.” Hollywood? Maybe. Maybe not. The 74h Golden Globe nominations show the Hollywood … Continue reading
It’s fair if not entirely accurate to say everything funny about it is stuff you can see in the trailers and TV ads for “Why Him?” Because those samples aren’t the least big amusing, and there is a random laugh … Continue reading
Little known fact. It wasn’t just daring or pluck that made the Wright Brothers “First in Flight.” It was math. The siblings checked the figures on the generally accepted numeric tables calculating lift and drag on wings, found them wrong … Continue reading
Lord have mercy, what has become of the promising-on-paper Independent Film Channel, IFC? “Con Air.” “Dukes of Hazzard.” “Lethal Weapon” sequels ad nauseum. As I have complained on their Facebook page, there’s already a cable channel for crap “so bad … Continue reading
An interesting in-between weekend at the box office, as the animated juggernaut “Moana” wins another week, besting the raunchy R-rated comedy “Office Christmas Party.” But it was close, with “Moana” clearing $18 million ($145 million overall, not a world beater, … Continue reading
Today, as we remember Kirk Douglas, who just died at 103, I thought I’d track back and re-post an interview/profile I did some years ago, on the occasion of his “last” book, Let’s Face It. Here it is. Screen legend … Continue reading
Maybe this is what we need, at the tail end of America’s “annus horribilis” — a really good cry. But “Jackie,” the new bio-pic built around Jacqueline Kennedy’s days of grief, shock and utter horror following the murder of her … Continue reading
Say what you will about the not-late/far-from-great filmmaker Uwe Boll, but he never for one second in all his awful movies thought he was Martin Effing Scorsese. Dito Montiel can’t say the same. A delusional hack who must have the … Continue reading