Top Posts & Pages
- Netflixable? "The Noel Diary" barely breaks the Hallmark Holiday Formula
- Netflixable? Taming "Lady Chatterley's Lover"
- Netflixable? Norwegians awaken a "Troll" -- and find out
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Netflixable? A New, Animated Musical -- "Scrooge: A Christmas Carol"
- Netflixable? A Polish cop turns undercover teacher with a two-fisted "Lesson Plan"
- Movie Review: Are Ryan, Will and Octavia "Spirited?"
- Documentary Review: More "Proof" of a UFO encounter that's nothing of the sort -- "Moment of Contact"
- Movie Review: Russell Crowe shows off his "Poker Face" in this Aussie thriller
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: November 15, 2016
The first question of any chess movie, as with any chess match, is “How will this surprise us?” “Magnus,” about “The Mozart of Chess,” Norwegian prodigy Magnus Carlsen, asks “Why bother?” If you haven’t heard of him, didn’t read the … Continue reading
A century of “fight pictures” means that there’s really nothing new, visually, that filmmakers can show us in the ring. So “Bleed for This” director Ben Younger concentrated, instead, on sound. He deafens us with the tinnitus of a knock-out, … Continue reading
Style trumps story and performance in Tom Ford’s “Nocturnal Creatures,” an arch film noir wrapped in the plastic of art world aesthetics, and damn near smothered by them. The second film from the fashion designer and former creative director for … Continue reading