Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review: Idris Elba shoots, and sings in "The Take"
- Netflixable? "The Paramedic (El practicante) " is no Angel of Mercy
- Movie Review: Schizophrenic and "I Met a Girl"
- Netflixable? Don't fall into the "Timetrap"
- Documentary Review: Ten Years After high school, who remains "Most Likely to Succeed?"
- Movie Review: Israeli melodrama "Broken Mirrors" takes guilt to its generational extremes
- Did you catch the RBG/Ruth Bader Ginsburg cameo in "Deadpool 2"?
- Netflixable? Filipino teen parents are "Ordinary People (Pamilya Ordinaryo)" on the streets of Manila
- Netflixable? French "Cuties (Mignonnes)" grow up entirely too fast
- Netflixable? Mexican BMX girl holds casting call -- "Dad Wanted (Se busca papá)"
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: October 7, 2014
“The Judge” dawdles, lingers, takes sidebars and recesses — much like a celebrity trial in which TV cameras have been allowed into the courtroom. A bloated all-star melodrama with none of the lean, mean legalese of a John Grisham adaptation, … Continue reading
“Kill the Messenger,” the film about journalist Gary Webb’s shocking newspaper stories that connected the Reagan Era CIA to America’s crack epidemic, shows just how hard it is to film investigative journalism as a drama, and get it right. The … Continue reading
He first gained notice in the U.S. in “The Wire,” as a detective on that seminal cops-and-drug-dealers show. In his native U.K., he’s done lots of films and TV, with “The Hour,” a melodrama set in the world of early … Continue reading
Say this for Ryan Philippe’s “Catch Hell.” It may be a nasty, low budget exploitative genre thriller.But it’s as timely as the latest batch of stolen celebrity cell phone photos, as pointed as every Hollywood type’s nightmares about movie making … Continue reading
“Automata” is yet another “Blade Runner” knock-off, a sci-fi dystopia about robots getting too smart for humanity’s own good on an already sun-cooked Earth. The novelty in this, which owes as much — cinematically — to “I Robot” as it … Continue reading
Hilary “Million Dollar Baby” Swank’s latest transformative performance has her taking on the doomed descent of someone suffering from Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. ALS is probably best-known these days as the “Ice Bucket Challenge” disease. If that’s a glib way of … Continue reading
“Meet the Mormons” is a slick, upbeat Church of Latter Day Saints-backed documentary that aims to answer the image of the church and its members “shaped by the media and popular culture.” A quick montage of pop culture ridicule of … Continue reading
Ryan Phillippe has lived his entire adult life in the public eye. A star since “Cruel Intentions,” he courted, married and divorced America’s Sweetheart, Reese Witherspoon. Always the object of paparazzi, you’re not going to get tears from Phillippe about … Continue reading