Top Posts & Pages
- Movie Review -- "Trevor: The Musical," a Pride Month period piece comes to Disney+
- Movie Review: A blood feud, a buried "sister" and sacrificial hand binds "The Accursed"
- Netflixable? South Africa's version of "Crash" is titled "Collision"
- Movie Review: A Child Grows up "Tethered" in the Woods
- Netflixable? Even sunny "Toscana" can't save this maudlin Danish Food-and-Daddy-Issues Romance
- Netflixable? A tragedy of WWII recreated, "The Bombardment (Skyggen i mit øje)"
- Documentary Review: Netflix's "One of Us" exposes the horrors of escaping Hasidism
- Netflixable? "RRR," an Action Bromance that Pulls out all the Bollywood Stops
- Movie Review -- "The Witch: Part 2, The Other One" gives witches the "Underworld" treatment
- Movie Review: "The Black Phone" rings up a horror homage to King, "Twilight Zone" and '70s Childhood
Find a Movie Review
Daily Archives: April 12, 2022
Today’s “Around the World with Netflix” entre is a violent, leering farce about sex, sexual dysfunction, sexual abuse and revenge for such abuse in 1980s Indonesia. The title — “Vengeance is Mine, All Others Pay Cash” — may hint at … Continue reading
“We All Went to the World’s Fair” is a self-consciously moody horror film that’s more interesting as an essay on loneliness than as a source of frights. And even the “interesting” label has its limits. Writer-director Jane Schoenbrun created a … Continue reading
Brawny and bloody, mythic and mystic, “The Northman” is a revenge quest as Viking saga, an epic that wears that label lightly. Robert Eggers’ grim, gory and gorgeous tale lets us sentimentalize “the hero’s journey,” and then disembowels that sentiment … Continue reading
It’s about people trapped…in a cornfield. It’s like they’re maze runners who can’t figure out a way out, “Six characters in Search of a Twilight Zone Exit,” or Steven King has another even less original son than the one that … Continue reading